• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Polycom Phone Provisioning via TFTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSDKen

Customer
Reaction score
I am trying to provision my polycom phones in V8 through TFTP. I am running the solarwinds TFTP server. Has anyone else successfully done this? I am running XP and therefore do not have the DHCP server needed for option 66.

Trying to figure out which directory I should point the TFTP server to? The Trixbox system I am pulling these phones off of uses TFTP so I know that it can be done this way.

Thanks,

Ken

If I remember correctly for XP the default that 3CX uses to create configs is "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\3CX\Data\Http\provisioning" of course you can use any directory you want if you config your TFTP server to use it.

Also if you need a XP compatible DHCP service you can try http://tftpd32.jounin.net/ which also supports option 66

Thanks Danny, that got me started, but I think the correct directory to point to is:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\3CX\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning

Added this root directory to the Solar Winds TFTP server and the polycom phone found it immediately.

There are a few issues with the default provisioning.
It did not provision a NTP time server
On my 501 phone, it correctly assigned line 1, but line 2 and 3, were assigned to other extensions in the system (if pressed they connect directly to the extension)

I assume that I can edit the default template to address both of these issues. Does anyone know where to find more information about the Polycom template?

Thanks,

Ken

There is pretty good information at http://voip-info.org

TSDKen said:
There are a few issues with the default provisioning.
It did not provision a NTP time server
On my 501 phone, it correctly assigned line 1, but line 2 and 3, were assigned to other extensions in the system (if pressed they connect directly to the extension

Could my issues be related to the fact that the 3CX Polycom template does not designed for the 501 Phone?

Is there any chance that full support for the 501 phone can be added in the future?

Ken

All of the phones use basically the identical config file. If there is an issue its probably an issue with the template and not specific to one phone. However, there isnt much reason to add support for the 501 since it is a discontinued model.

The 501 was only discontinued less than 3 months ago (8/20/09) and will be supported by Polycom until 2014. There are likely hundreds of thousands of these phones out there, I personally have 5 of these I would like to use on my 3CX system. Hopefully there are enough users to warrant the few template tweaks that might be needed to work seamlessly with 3CX.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I am trying to provision some Polycom 430 phones. I have tried Tftpd32 with option66 and Solrawind DHCP and have failed to provision these Polycom phones. In my search for help I found your post here. Would you please right the steps for provisioning. That is the configuration for solarwind and setting the options on the phone to access the TFTP info.
Please email me the steps if you think it is too long to post it here. Most probably I am not setting the data right in these apps. For example in Tftpd32 for option 66 I expect to see a string but it is asking for and IP address. I also do not know how to include the MAC address! I can not find the field to populate that.

Iraj Partovi
Varietel Communications
[email protected]
801-889-1414

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steffen Ekerdt
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.