• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Polycom phones show as UNPROVISIONED

Status
Not open for further replies.

skillsinc

Customer
Reaction score
After upgrading to v12 all my Polycom phones show under the Phones section as UNPROVISIONED.
I have one snom device that shows provisioned, but none of my Polycom SoundPoint phones do.
Because of this the reboot and reprovision buttons are greyed out for all my phones.
Could this be due to an error in the provisioning templates?

Have you tried to manually provision those handsets as of yet??? if so what was the result?

I'm seeing the exact same issue. Polycom SoundPoint IP450 on 4.0.4

Upgraded to 12, phones work fine but show as UNPROVISIONED in the MAC Address column in the Phones section, Reprovision and Reboot buttons are greyed out.

Have a Panasonic DECT unit which also shows as UNPROVISIONED but the Reprovision and Reboot buttons are available.

Removing the extension and re-adding it makes no difference.

What is the firmware tested and supported by 3cx for the polycom Ip 450's in version 12? Is that the firmware you are currently using?

Well the model drop down and provisioning template says it's for Polycom 4.0.x firmwares, so I'd assume 4.0.4 is included in that.

If there's a more detailed list of supported firmware versions on the maze that is the 3CX website then I'll check it, but I haven't been able to find one.

I'm running bootrom 4.3.1.0440 and that worked fine with v11.
My UC software is at 3.3.5 for the Polycom IP330 phones and 4.4.0 for my Polycom IP550 phones.
When I downgrade the IP550 to 3.3.5 it still shows as unprovisioned.
Half my phones picked up the new provisioning templates using the new path to the provisioning folder and the other 1/2 had to be configured via the web GUI.
I have taken the new provisioning template that came with v12 for the Polycoms and made my changes and saved the file.
If I use the stock templates for any of my Polycom models, they all say UNPROVISIONED.
I also tried deleting the Polycom 3.3.x Template and re-download it, applied it to an IP330. Still doesn't work.

This is the first time in all my years using 3CX that an upgrade has gone off so badly.

It's worth noting that Polycom phones have gone from "supported" to "not recommended" in the space of one release if you look at this page:

http://www.3cx.com/support/

Although clicking on the Polycom link takes you here http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/polycom-s ... 0-650-670/ which still says it is supported, which is my experience with the 3CX website as a whole. The lack of dates and times on these articles just compounds the confusion.

This article here: http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/ - UPDATED LINK contains reasons why 3CX don't support Polycom phones any more, which amounts to a lot of whining about issues that you already know the fixes to. The SIP administration documents from Polycom are some of the most comprehensive I've ever seen, the firmware issue was sorted out ages ago and I even emailed you a fix to the strange way 3CX was provisioning old handsets and nobody replied. You have a firmware management section of your management console, make it aware that Polycom phones need a special setup. To complain that the configuration templates are case-sensitive is ridiculous - you're software developers and your cheapest package is $495 - I'm sure you can work it out.

Likewise with the phonebook - Polycom handsets support LDAP directories for real-time lookups. Build an LDAP directory into 3CX so it works properly, don't just moan about it.

3CX in the last couple of versions has gone from being a piece of software that was a bit rough around the edges but supported most handsets, to a PBX for Yealink or Snom devices. I'm not asking you to support a handset that was discontinued 10 years ago, Polycom IP450s are still current models. It will cost me a lot more to replace handsets than replace the PBX, and so I think this year is the last year I will be renewing maintenance.

I agree with this, turning 3CX into PBX for Yealink and Snom looks not so smart and is limiting the market.
Many people are frustrated from Yealink and don't like Snom, in most cases overpriced and without support.
Other brand "killed" beside Polycom is Grandstream, Panasonic was available between V11 SP2 and SP3, also Aastra and TipTel, next to be expelled is Cisco. Same about gateways -- Welltech is simply not alternative of Grandstream, etc.

My main complaint isn't even that the supported handsets is changing, it's that there is no warning about going from a handset being supported to "not recommended". It just happens and the first you find out about it is when something strange happens and it turns out that half the website now says that only two manufacturers are supported as endpoints.

You can pop up a message in the console when my maintenance is expiring, surely you can do the same when the handsets I have provisioned are dropping off your supported list?

Not that long ago you considered Polycom devices best-of-breed, worthy of a case study: http://www.3cx.com/case-studies/euphonix/ , now because they're slightly difficult to deal with you drop support. What guarantees do I have that if I invest in Snom handsets for a 3CX deployment that you won't change your mind about supporting them in the next release, because it requires you to use some care when writing the provisioning templates?

I would excuse this sort of practice from a single developer working on an open source project since it's obvious that the Polycom handsets are more hassle than others, but for a commercial developer with a reasonable price tag on their solution and then extra charges for maintenance and support, to decide not to support one of the most popular brands of SIP endpoint because you consider it too difficult would be funny if we weren't running a business off the back of it.

If I expect to get at least a 5 year life out of my endpoints, then it would be nice to have a 5 year warning about support being dropped.
Has anyone confirmed that downgrading a Polycom endpoint to Bootrom 4.3.0 and SIP 3.3.1 will work correctly as "Provisioned"?
I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens.

The only downgrade allowed was to Bootrom 4.3.0.0246 and SIP 3.3.2.0413 for my IP550, testing the IP330 next.
I'm using the template for the IP330 (3.3.x) on my IP550 since there is no 3.3.x template listed by default for the IP550.
Still listed as UNPROVISIONED

@Eagle @JohnnyM,

I too agree with you both the thing that attracted me to 3cx was the ability to use different vendors and a large number were supported (atleast what we used most of) Grandstream, Cisco, Polycom as thats what our clients asked for. We've used Yealink though not very often and Snom never. I do not like the way 3cx is narrowing whom they will or will not support based on new interop test with every new firmware release main reason being it seems like most SIP handset providers wont do it/ or are being a bit difficult etc...... So boasting about not having to be tied in with any hardware providers while almost attempting to tie you in with a few hardware providers of their choice in this case Yealink/Snom/Patton/welltech seems to be a bit disingenuous ....... I happen to use Grandstream handsets mostly (though not their gateways we use patton exclusively due to their superior support team) for a few reasons price point, quality, features, and one of the main reasons which made us heavily lean twoards Grandstream at the time is they were supported and we were new to the world of IP PBXs at the time. Which leaves me in the same conundrum Johnny M mentioned of investing into these handsets (in this case our clients investment) and they went from supported to not recommended so when a problem arises or a customer just happens to take a look at the 3cx site and see not recommended thats not good at all and it has happened!!! With that being said I have had very little to no problems with Grandstream handsets but when I do their support is now decent which is a step above from their previous of non existent. I've had also next to zero issues with our Polycom handsets as well but when we did they were easily sorted out. I'm a huge fan of 3cx love using it in our offices and its one of our best selling products, (the only pbx we offer) we will continue to push it out the door every chance we get with that being said going in this direction this is something that just makes little to no sense at all to me but I'm looking at what directly benefits myself and my clients..... Then again who doesnt?????

We experienced the exact same issue with our Polycom phones listed as "UNPROVISIONED" and unable to Reboot or Reprovision the phone from within 3CX. This only occurred after I upgraded to v12 SP3. I have since reverted back to SP2 using firmware 4.0.4.2906 and BootROM 4.4.0 and can now see the phones' MAC listed correctly in 3CX. The speaker hard key on the phones do not work correctly now though. Still haven't got that narrowed down yet. Using IP331's and IP550's.

I hate posting a "me too" post, but yeah, I noticed this a couple of days ago when I updated to SP3 and was in the process of upgrading my Grandstream templates to take advantage of some of the new features of 12's templates... all of my polycoms magically went to "UNPROVISIONED"

I was hoping that there was some flag or something in the new version of the provisioning file but I didn't see anything.

I am now hoping this is just a bug in SP3

Hi All
a) Can you guys be a bit more positive? Keep in mind that this is not our fault. It is not our problem that Polycom never do anything for us.
b) This was a bug in our template. You can go to phones template updates in the management console and update the latest templates from there. When you have cases like this, all we need is a comment on the blog. We are looking constantly at comments on the blog and we will address them asap. Just like we did now.
c) JonnyM - We are developers of telephony Media Servers, write complex transcoding algorithms, call managers, sip stacks, sip clients running on multiple platforms etc etc. A polycom phone (as unnecessarily complex as it may be compared to other phone manufacturers) is NOT going to scare us trust me.

FYI on this earth that we live in, XML is Case sensitive. There is nothing to work out. Stop acting like this and make your research before calling us whiners. One of XML's language schematic properties is case sensitivity.

For all the rest supporting Polycom Phones:

Please do not ignore clear warning signs like this:
http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/ - UPDATED LINK.
Like, do I need to send you guys to an Oprah show, maybe she can give it a shot at explaining to you that the relationship is NOT good and not going anywhere anytime soon???
Come on guys.. If you have phones already, no problem - everything still works and we will remove nothing that was already there. Just contact us and we will check. But there Is no need to write in all this tone.

To the comment where 3CX is becoming a snom and yealink pbx. No its not. But 3CX cannot add new features for polycom phones because it is impossible: A few examples are below.

No remote extension provisioning - ERM the polycom phone, last I checked early 2013 had no stun.... Did they add it now or they expect the user to write the public ip in the web interface? And what if the public ip changes?

If you polycom users are happy to download firmwares using option 66, then go for it. One change in the provisioning path and you have to go, find all your reservations and update them.
We want to upgrade firmwares using SIP Notifies dynamically built - and if Snom and Yealink added these features, then firmware update will be seemless for these phones using the Reset and Provisioning button.

Firmware updates- Big no - impossible -
Jonny you call 3CX a maze? What do you think of the link that you have to scratch your head against before updating a firmware?
http://downloads.polycom.com/voice/voip ... atrix.html. Combined and split, bootroms against firmware?

But if this makes you happy, then I'm not understanding why there is so much stabbing in this thread. Point is this. We are moving forward and putting technology in front of us. If the manufacturer wants to remain ancient, we will keep on moving forward without it. It's that simple.

nickybrg said:
c) JonnyM - We are developers of telephony Media Servers, write complex transcoding algorithms, call managers, sip stacks, sip clients running on multiple platforms etc etc. A polycom phone (as unnecessarily complex as it may be compared to other phone manufacturers) is NOT going to scare us trust me.

FYI on this earth that we live in, XML is Case sensitive. There is nothing to work out. Stop acting like this and make your research before calling us whiners. One of XML's language schematic properties is case sensitivity.

I wasn't the one who brought up case-sensitivity as a reason why I don't want to deal with a certain type of handset. That was your website (which you referenced in your reply). If you have no issues dealing with case sensitivity then why mention it as a 'challenge'?

nickybrg said:
To the comment where 3CX is becoming a snom and yealink pbx. No its not.

How else is the list of recommended handsets supposed to be interpreted - http://www.3cx.com/support/ ?

nickybrg said:
Jonny you call 3CX a maze? What do you think of the link that you have to scratch your head against before updating a firmware?
http://downloads.polycom.com/voice/voip/sip_sw_releases_matrix.html. Combined and split, bootroms against firmware?

I see a table with endpoint models along the top and versions down the side, with linked release notes for each version. All the release notes have dates on them.

Now look at these two pages:

http://www.3cx.com/support/
http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/polycom-soundpoint-450-550-560-650-670/

Different handsets appear in the "supported" section. What document is more recent?

nickybrg said:
But if this makes you happy, then I'm not understanding why there is so much stabbing in this thread. Point is this. We are moving forward and putting technology in front of us. If the manufacturer wants to remain ancient, we will keep on moving forward without it. It's that simple.

I'm sorry if you don't like reading criticism but that comes with the territory of selling a product. I understand that bugs creep into software, but when I went to check on why I might be having these issues I saw that the phones had dropped onto a "not recommended" list without any warning. This is the part that I am irritated by, not the provisioning bug. Your reply hasn't really done anything to make me any more confident that your software is a long-term option.

Nicky,

Was it just changing of the "model" lines to include the ua parameter? Was that really it?

If so, dang, I could have fixed that last week. I saw it and decided that little bit wasn't important.

The Panasonic KX-TGP500B template can be fixed the same way by changing the top of the provisioning template to read:

Code:
<models>
  <model ua="Panasonic_KX_TGP500B01">Panasonic KX-TGP500</model>
  <model ua="Panasonic_KX_TGP500B02">Panasonic KX-TGP500</model>
</models>

My phones are now showing up correctly as provisioned with the updated template Polycom Templates.
I downloaded the latest template and then started adding my changes back one at a time until things broke.
Here are where I had to make changes.

Add ua="SPIP_321" etc to the Model
OLD:
Code:
<model>Polycom Skills SPIP321 (4.0.x)</model>
NEW:
Code:
<model ua="SPIP_321">Polycom Skills SPIP321 (4.0.x)</model>

I had my two lines separated and I had to merge them
OLD:
Code:
 <reg
    reg.1.address="%%extension_number%%"
    reg.1.auth.password="%%extension_auth_pw%%"
    reg.1.auth.userId="%%extension_auth_id%%"
    reg.1.displayName="%%extension_first_name%% %%extension_last_name%%"
    reg.1.server.1.address="%%pbx_ip%%"
    reg.1.server.1.expires="120"
    reg.1.server.1.port="%%param::sipport%%"
    reg.1.server.1.register="1"    
  />
  <reg
    reg.2.address="%%extension_number%%"
    reg.2.label="%%extension_first_name%%"
    reg.2.auth.password="%%extension_auth_pw%%"
    reg.2.auth.userId="%%extension_auth_id%%"
    reg.2.displayName="%%extension_first_name%% %%extension_last_name%%"
    reg.2.server.1.address="%%pbx_ip%%"
    reg.2.server.1.expires="120"
    reg.2.server.1.port="%%param::sipport%%"
    reg.2.server.1.register="1"    
  />

NEW:
Code:
  <reg
    reg.1.address="%%extension_number%%"
    reg.1.auth.password="%%extension_auth_pw%%"
    reg.1.auth.userId="%%extension_auth_id%%"
    reg.1.displayName="%%extension_first_name%% %%extension_last_name%%"
    reg.1.server.1.address="%%pbx_ip%%"
    reg.1.server.1.expires="120"
    reg.1.server.1.port="%%param::sipport%%"
    reg.1.server.1.register="1"  
    reg.2.address="%%extension_number%%"
    reg.2.label="%%extension_first_name%%"
    reg.2.auth.password="%%extension_auth_pw%%"
    reg.2.auth.userId="%%extension_auth_id%%"
    reg.2.displayName="%%extension_first_name%% %%extension_last_name%%"
    reg.2.server.1.address="%%pbx_ip%%"
    reg.2.server.1.expires="900"
    reg.2.server.1.port="%%param::sipport%%"
    reg.2.server.1.register="1"  
  />

Attachments

• Polycom-Model.png
    Polycom-Model.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 877
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TECHXNEPAL
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.