• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Polycom Soundpoint custom ring tones / wave files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatboy40

Reaction score
This is not strictly a 3CX specific post but maybe someone here is able to help me ?.

A simple thing, in theory, that would impress my users is to assign custom ring tones to my Polycom phones (SPIP 450's and 650's). Now there are various resources out there that document this, Polycom specific documents and others on the Internet, but I'm having big trouble adding my custom wav files.

First of all to make my life easier I've given up on using 3CX v9 to provision my phones, and I've gone over to using an FTP server as it gives me more flexibility (for example a big plus is that I'm now capturing log files from the phones and getting custom directory entries backed up to XML files). I've various wav files on the FTP server that I've tweaked myself using Audacity to get them in the correct format (16kHz, mono etc.), and created an additional cfg file just for setting up the sampled audio on the phones.

Now the phones apply the cfg file, and my log files for them show that they are picking up the wav files, but they just won't play them and use the default tone instead.

I'm stumped as to why this is occuring as I've tried to follow others advice to the letter, and even used just one wav file of 37KB just incase available memory on the phone was an issue. But still it won't work.

Anyone else tried this ?.

Thanks.

Attached is my cfg file for this, I won't attach the wav file though as it is a short piece of a potentialy copyrighted song I'm using for testing purposes.

Attachments

• custom cfg file.zip
    295 bytes · Views: 165
I followed this article when I set it up a while back

http://www.voipphreak.ca/2005/07/30/my- ... ringtones/

1) Place the ringtone files in the home folder of your FTP server.
2) Find the allphones.cfg file on your provising FTP server and amend the Sampled Audio Section as below:
saf.1=”” saf.2=”newringtone1.wav” saf.3=”newringtone2.wav” saf.4=”” saf.5=”” saf.6=”” saf.7=”” saf.8=”” saf.9=”” saf.10=”” saf.11=”” saf.12=”” saf.13=”” saf.14=”" saf.15=”" saf.16=”" saf.17=”" saf.18=”" saf.19=”" saf.20=”" saf.21=”" saf.22=”" saf.23=”" saf.24=”"

NOTE: The location of sampled audio file that you amend, relates to the location your ringtone will appear in the phone menu. I found that amending the saf.1 location didn’t work, so I started from saf.2 which equates to menu option 13 as per the table below.

Once you have made these changes, save your allphones.cfg file and reboot your Polycom phone.
After the phone has rebooted press Menu > 3. Settings > 1. Basic > 4. Ring Type
Scroll down the list until you reach number 13 in the list which should show you your new ringtone. Simply choose select to choose your new ringtone

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that, it validates the info I allready have from various Polycom PDF's.

Over the weekend though I cracked the problem, which was down to the compression used on the wav file.

I was using Audacity and Sound Recorder (under Windows XP, they've got rid of the features I need in Windows 7) to create the cut down wav files using CCITT u-law, to the spec required by Polycom, but the damned wav files never worked. Found this software though...

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html

... which works brilliant to convert wav files to formats suitable for use with my Polycom phones.

Thanks.

Glad you got it sorted.

I used Audacity for mine with no problems??

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamingpro2131
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.