Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Poor quality when making VOIP calls using 3G connection

Discussion in 'Android' started by pksubair, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pksubair

Hello:

I'm new this forum and my issue is not strictly related to 3CX, but I hope this is not against forum rules and I will get some valuable suggestion from this forum. Here is the problem I"m facing.

When I try to make VOIP calls using my 3G data network , the VOIP client (I use the service 'internet calls', and use their VOIP client for Android 'Mobile VOIP' ) always says the network speed is poor, though I my connection speed is really good (i"m able to stream videos without any interruption). I will be getting the connection through, but the voice will not be clear (as I if make the VOIP calls using a really slow internet connection). I tried 3CX for Android and there also I face the same problem.

I then tethered the connection to my laptop, (there a 'net speed test' was showing around .5Mps download and upload speed , and I'm able to stream the videos) and tried to make calls from there using 3CX but in vain. I suspect my carrier block/reduce the speed to the connection to VOIP servers.

Can some one please advice me if there is any way to confirm this ? Also any other ideas or suggestion to make this working would be much appreciated.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Perhaps if you list the name of the provider that you are attempting this over, others using the same network can "compare notes" with you.

3. pksubair

I use, Lebara prepaid data plan here in Germany.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I think you are probably correct.

Being a "virtual" provider they run over someone else's network. If you can find a friend that uses the host network, and have them try, it may confirm that it is not the actual network. There may be an agreement in place that they will only have limited VoIP traffic.

If they are in fact throttling it, other than attempting to switch ports to something"non-standard", and hoping that they are doing it by the particular port, I don't think you will have much luck getting around it.

5. pksubair

Leejor:

Thank you very much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.