Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Poor sound quality 3cx gateway for skype

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Oleksandr, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oleksandr

Hello!

I have latest versions of 3CX gateway for skype and 3CX installed.

With both incoming and outgoing calls via Skype-gateway sound quality is awful. Strong heartbeats and clicks are audible in a voice , the sound is intermittent. Quality is improving a bit if you use an old Skype version (5 or 4).

The sound is bad only with SIP to Skype and Skype to SIP calls.
    The problem apparently exsists not in the Skype but in the gateway or PBX itself or between them. If I listen to the sound during this kind of calls and connect directly to the audio card jack with my headphones, I hear perfect quality.
    Also I have the audio-card replaced and it did not help.

I think, everything is configured correctly and "voice through PBX" option is seleced.

I ask for your advice, I do not know how to find the reason of this issue and how to fix it.

Thank you.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Click sounds, may be the result of dropped/missing packets. The audio portion will usually introduce distortion, over modulation, or a relatively steady background noise, so it may not be the audio card. Is there any sort of "bottleneck" possible in your network, or to/from your VoIP provider?

3. Oleksandr

Hello again.

There is no "bottleneck" I could imagine. Everything goes thru localhost.
    I turened off ativirus software and it did not help. I have replaced watchguard firewall with d-link router and it did not help.
    I tried to replace the motherboard, I put new one from my spare parts - no result.

After some research I think this clicks are periodical delays in the flow or delays in encoding.

If I listen directly from skype the sound is clear.

Also it appears randomly. First call has usually almoust perfect sound and clicks are coming during the second call.

Do you guys have any idea how to locate the problem?

Thank you.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So...you are using the 3Cx Phone and the 3CX PBX/Skype gateway all on the same PC??

Perhaps there is an audio conflict running the Skype gateway and the 3CX Phone simultaneously on the same machine (if that is the case).

Have you tried using the 3CX Phone, on another PC, or using a stand alone SIP phone/ATA?

The gateway does work, I use it on occasion, and while not always the best audio quality, it isn't noticeably worse that some VoIP calls I've made. I have to assume that it is a hardware, network, or software conflict somewhere in your set-up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.