Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Poor sound quality

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Albert464, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Albert464

I tried to configure 3CX with Trunk messagenet, but I noticed that the audio quality of the messages reproduced by IVR and welcome is poor.

We come from a switchboard written with Asterisk and there the sound is much clearer, as codec we use G711 and I have also configured it within 3CX, but it seems that this has not changed things.

The audio messages played by 3cx seem more "muted" than those on Asterisk, moreover the format is the same.

How can this be solved? It must also be said that on Asterisk we do not use the Messagenet trunk, but another provider.

Used machine: Amazon Lightsail

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would confirm which Codecs are being used, and if any transcoding is happening. Check the 3CX Activity Log. Is the voice quality of calls affected, or just the messages? What about calls to a voicemail?

3. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

If you have converted across from FreePBX (trunk messagnet) then if all else fails you could try re-recording, it is not difficult and you can follow this guide: https://www.3cx.com/docs/converting-wav-file/

Also ensure your recordings are in the format of:

Format: WAV
    Channel: Mono
    Bit rate: 8 kHz
    Sample: 16 bit

I do all of my recordings via audacity, FYI - I have done recordings for Asterisk (not FreePBX) in the past and they offer this online converter: https://www.digium.com/products/ivr/audio-converter

4. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Albert464

Try calling the Digital receptionist directly from a local extension and see if the audio quality is the same. There is probably transcoding happening which affects the audio quality. You can use wireshark to determine which codec is negotiated between the provider and the PBX and which codec is negotiated between the PBX and the phone.

5. Albert464

In order the codecs of the trunk are:
    g711 alaw
    g711 ulaw
    g729

The conversation is quite good, acceptable, it is the audio messages that are lower and less clear than Asterisk.

The files are of the correct version, they were made by a recording studio adapted to telephone exchanges. From the computer they feel very good, even the 8Khz wav version, 16 bit mono.

Calling the extension feels perfect, I tried to change VoIP provider and it feels better, but still it is not the best.

Can I use wireshark on linux amazon lighsail machine?

6. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Yes, navigate to Dashboard / Activity log. You will find the capture button there.

7. Albert464

Thank you so much, I did as you said. Is there a guide that makes me understand where to look? Because it's all a series of infinite numbers, there are about 1000 lines.

Thank you

8. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

You will need to look to look to the Wireshark documentation for details on how to read the capture. Generally you go the telephony tab and select Voip calls. That should give you a list with calls. You can select the call you want and look at individual sip messages. The first thing you will need to determine is what codec is negotiated between the PBX and the provider. Wireshark can also export the audio so you can listen to the audio quality and if its the same with the one you are listening on the phone.

9. Albert464

I did some tests and this is the graph that you can see of the call, the codec used is the one I have in the red box?

Attached Files:

10. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

Yes... that says you are using g729 which would make sense why it sounds that way.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Albert464

But if the priority of the codecs assigned to the Trunk is this, why is it going on g729? Does the g711 codec have precedence?

G.711 A-law
    G729
    GSM-FR
    G.711 U-law
    iLBC

12. eddv123

It could be as simple as that your trunking provider requests G729 during negotiation with the PBX. G729 is a popular codec used across WAN links as it is compressed and thus uses less bandwidth.

If you do a Wireshark capture (or view your previous) look at the SDP body of the message sent from your ITSP, this will confirm what they support.

Albert464 likes this.
  13. eddv123

To add a little more:

G.711 u/a law = Is an uncompressed codec with a base size of 64 kbit/s and a MOS score
    of 4.3 (mean opinion score): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_opinion_score

G.729 = Is a compressed codec and has a base size of 8 kbits/s and a MOS score of 3.7.

Based on one way voice, the bandwidth per call can roughly equate to:

Within the local LAN:

G.711 codec = 95.2 Kbps.
    G.729 codec = 39.2 Kbps.

Across a PPP (WAN):

G.711 codec = 82.4 Kbps bandwidth.
    G.729 codec = 26.4 Kbps bandwidth.

PPP with cRTP (compressed RTP):

G.711 = 67.2 Kbps bandwidth.
    G.729a = 11.2 Kbps bandwidth.

You can see from the above figures why G.729/compressed voice is often used across WAN links.

Further configuration of your network/router for cRTP could improve the amount of bandwidth utilized across your link but codec type will dictate the quality.

Albert464 likes this.
  14. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Albert464

The codec negotiated is G729 and even though you have G711 as your top codec your provider uses G729. You could as a test remove G729 from your trunk so that G711A is the first matching codec and see if that makes any difference. Navigate to your trunk settings / Options and remove G729 from the list. Press OK to confirm the changes

Albert464 likes this.
  15. Albert464

Removing it from the list forcibly uses the G711, but I do not understand why I should remove it and the provider does not respect the hierarchy.

16. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

17. eddv123

Look at the provider SDP, I think chances are they either prioritize or only support the G.729 codec.

If this is the case then the question is for them, but they will likely say it is for bandwidth reasons.

18. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Why would you not simply remove it, if that works for you?

19. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

You should remove it because it wasn't working when it was there. As to why it wasn't working that is question for your provider as it's not a 3CX issue. 3CX is correctly presenting the preferred codec order.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Generally the "rule" is that the codec priority is determined by the initiator, however this is not always the case with providers as in many cases they prioritise low bandwidth codecs. You can force G711 by removing G729 from the list and force the provide to use that codec.