Poor Voicemail Quality through Phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by MacDaddy, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacDaddy

When our users call the voicemail from the phone we are getting a broken dialog and the VM message is broken as well. "Yo_ h_ve __ee _ew Mes__es ....." However when listening to the message delivered via email they are fine. We are one Ver10 Sp5 and are using Cisco SPA508g Phones. I was wondering if anyone has experianced this previously...

Mac..

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

When you listen to an audio file received through email, your local computer is simply playing back a file. It already has the file, it's not being streamed.
    When you are listening to voice-mails played back by 3CX you are at the "mercy" of the speed of your machine (the one running 3CX), the speed of it's hard-drive, and the amount of memory, all of which can have an affect on the audio quality of voice-mails. If you don't experience any other phone to phone, or phone to trunk, voice issues, then you need to consider that it may be that the machine running your 3CX server is not quite up to snuff.
    You've failed to mentions it's specs and whether or not this is a new issue, or has been happening from day one.

3. MacDaddy

We thought about that.

the system is currently being run on a single processor VM (as recomemded) on VMware 5, running 2008 r2, 8 gigs of ram, 2 80 gig harddisks on an iscsi san with 15k sas drives on a 10 gig backbone, i dont think that that its a server issue. Genereral voice quality did greatly improve after the migration to the new vm infrastructure, it was running on a vmware 3.02 infrastructure on local storage where we still had the same quality issues with voicemail.

Where in the system settings can i configure the streaming codec for the VM.

4. MacDaddy

and also i forgot to add that the atendant while taking the vm is also choppy and disjointed.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I don't know if that can be changed.

I have a few machines running on a single core, Atom N270 processor with 2 gig of memory and have never experienced an issue with voicemail quality. I have to assume that your machine is "occupied" with some other task(s) and has put the playback, lower in it's list of priorities. Or, there is some other hardware/software issue on that machine.

6. KenC

I have this problem, too.
    running 3cx v10 on Thinkpad T43p with 2.0ghz single core processor, 100gb hd, 2gb ram.

How do I troubleshoot this?

thanks

7. KenC

Made path to 3cx an exception for av, and defragmented drive (which needed it badly). Good quality this am. We' ll see.

8. KenC

Still choppy intermittently.

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

To troubleshoot, you could begin by swapping out parts of the network, beginning with the PC. Install 3CX on another "borrowed" machine, one with higher specs. Restore a backup, and simply run as either the "free" version or apply the Demo key. If the problem disappears, then you know what you need to "work on" or replace. It may not be the whole system that requires replacing, it may just be the hard drive, or there could be a setting that is causing a bottleneck.

10. KenC

I believe I've solved it now.

primary ide drive was set to PIO instead of DMA. Don't know how that happened but Winxp has built in funcionality to do that after x DMA failures (set in registry).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.