• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Port Forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentkhack

Reaction score
I am using a RV042G router with our system. I have a Comcast static IP address for the 3CX server. I can't seem to do the port forwarding correctly. While in the router GUI I got to Setup-->Fowarding. I put in 192.168.1.106::5060 in the IP Address field. When I click Add to List I get the error "This IP value should be in LAN or Multiple Subnet IP Range". My 3CX IP address is the 192.168.1.106 and I got the ::5060 part from the 3CX port forwarding troubleshooting guide. What am I doing wrong? TIA.

Maybe this link will help
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/RV042/3CX.htm

Thank you for the link. I did all ports into the router. When I run the checker I still get the forwarding is not correct. My question is this. What IP address do I put in in the router GUI in the port forwarding secton? Is it the external IP, static ip from Comcast, static gateway ip from Comcast, or the ip of the server IE 192.168.x.x? Sorry this is the first time doing this type of stuff if you can't tell.

I don't know if this matters or not. I am using the Comcast modem. I have modem port 4 going to router DMZ/Internet (WAN2). I have modem port 3 going to router Internet (WAN1). WAN 1 is where I put the static ip in. Not sure if WAN 2 is still DHCP. Now I have router port 4 going to Netgear switch. Router port 3 going to 3CX server.

Are you actually making use of both of the WAN ports? If not, disable one. If the other is connected to your cable modem and set to DHCP...does it get a public IP from the modem, or does the modem have a built in router which is assigning a private IP address... such as 192.168.XXX.XX ?

The fact that you mention multiple ports on the modem leads me to believe that it is also a router.

If that is the case, then you will have double NAT going on, possibly an IP conflict, and will probably cause problems.

If the router gets a public IP, then the required, forwarded ports, simply need to be "sent" to the local IP of the 3CX server.

Does the router also support telephone service ( two phone jacks in the modem)? This may be an indication that some of the ports that 3CX wants use may be reserved and therefore blocked by the modem box. In that case you may have to set 3CX to use a port other than 5060.

You may have to end up doing port forwarding within the Comcast modem/router, and if desired, use your Linksys router simply as an access point.

leejor said:
Are you actually making use of both of the WAN ports? If not, disable one. If the other is connected to your cable modem and set to DHCP...does it get a public IP from the modem, or does the modem have a built in router which is assigning a private IP address... such as 192.168.XXX.XX ?

The fact that you mention multiple ports on the modem leads me to believe that it is also a router.

If that is the case, then you will have double NAT going on, possibly an IP conflict, and will probably cause problems.

If the router gets a public IP, then the required, forwarded ports, simply need to be "sent" to the local IP of the 3CX server.

Does the router also support telephone service ( two phone jacks in the modem)? This may be an indication that some of the ports that 3CX wants use may be reserved and therefore blocked by the modem box. In that case you may have to set 3CX to use a port other than 5060.

You may have to end up doing port forwarding within the Comcast modem/router, and if desired, use your Linksys router simply as an access point.
I am using both WAN ports. The reason is when I put in the static IP in (WAN1), the whole office couldn't use the internet. So I put in a Ethernet cable from WAN2 to the switch so they can get online. The 3CX server does have a 192.168.x.x address. WAN1 has the static IP address. The Comcast box is a modem/router. I am using nexVortex as my VOIP provider and needed a VPN router. That is why I have Cisco RV042G hooked up after the Comcast box. I have a second box that does our analog phone system. I have never done static IP before so what do I need to change with all computers to make them work if I take out WAN2's cable? This way I can have no IP conflict with using both WAN's.

Sorry for the confusion. I just took a closer look at our Comcast box and it does have two ports for phones but are not used. We have a totally separate box for that.

I can't say for certain that it won't work, just that you are trying to get 3CX working behind two routers (double NAT) without doing any port forwarding in the first (from the sounds of it).

The Comcast modem/router may be reserving some ports for it's own use as it has two ATAs built in, this may cause problems, especially if you leave the 3CX port as 5060.

If you have access to the setting in the Comcast router (port forwarding), then I would plug the 3CX server into a LAN port on the Comcast router, and port forward to the servers IP. You may be prevented from forwarding port 5060 and 5061 if they are being used internally.

Perhaps another Forum member has has some experience with the Comcast router you are using. What is the make and model?

You say you have another "box" for phone service...is that also from Comcast, plugged into their router? If so, you may have additional issues to contend with.

leejor said:
I can't say for certain that it won't work, just that you are trying to get 3CX working behind two routers (double NAT) without doing any port forwarding in the first (from the sounds of it).

The Comcast modem/router may be reserving some ports for it's own use as it has two ATAs built in, this may cause problems, especially if you leave the 3CX port as 5060.

If you have access to the setting in the Comcast router (port forwarding), then I would plug the 3CX server into a LAN port on the Comcast router, and port forward to the servers IP. You may be prevented from forwarding port 5060 and 5061 if they are being used internally.

Perhaps another Forum member has has some experience with the Comcast router you are using. What is the make and model?

You say you have another "box" for phone service...is that also from Comcast, plugged into their router? If so, you may have additional issues to contend with.
I am about to buy a Motorola SB6121 modem and get rid of the Comcast modem/router. Hopefully that will help with my issue.

That may or or may not go well.
I helped a friend move and she got new service.. their POS wifi modem router had to remain in place.. I could not get them to provision the Motorola modem I bought her.. that two-year contract clause included their equipment.. they would NOT register mine.

Aside.. I have had better luck with a multi-homing config with two NICs.. the only added issues are to make sure the provisioning settings are done with the right host names et al.. and handset provisionings are using the right interface.. that kind of stuff.. oh and the Windows Firewall stuff gets trained up right.

But the quality and one-way audio stuff is a thing of the past. SonicWall sucked a big one.. but so did quite a few others out there.

ian.watts said:
That may or or may not go well.
I helped a friend move and she got new service.. their POS wifi modem router had to remain in place.. I could not get them to provision the Motorola modem I bought her.. that two-year contract clause included their equipment.. they would NOT register mine.

Aside.. I have had better luck with a multi-homing config with two NICs.. the only added issues are to make sure the provisioning settings are done with the right host names et al.. and handset provisionings are using the right interface.. that kind of stuff.. oh and the Windows Firewall stuff gets trained up right.

But the quality and one-way audio stuff is a thing of the past. SonicWall sucked a big one.. but so did quite a few others out there.
You nailed it. I can't use an owned modem with static ip with Comcast. They say for technical reason but that isn't true. What I did was go from the Comcast modem/router to the 3CX server and the switch. I skipped the Cisco router. I port forwarded the Comcast modem and now I do pass the firewall checker. I do have other questions but will put in other threads. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.