Portable phones?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by tsteffens, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsteffens

Just trying to get an idea of what everyone is using for portable phones?

Do you use standard DECT phones with an ATA?

Do you use SIP DECT phones?

I was trying to figure out what I was going to use, but beings no portable phone out there can use the shared parking lot feature because none of them have BLF keys, I might as well stick with the uber cheap route with standard DECT phones and an ATA.

Just curious what everyone else it using.

2. willow

willow Member

I use Snom m9's they are DECT sets and work well. Dect seems to be the way that most go. the M9 is a sip set and uses dect for the wireless. this is versus's using a ata and then the cordless onto of that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

Siemens Gigaset N300 are good

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pjr

pjr New Member

Our Experience of the M9 was that you were unable to transfer calls using one with 3CX. This was a while ago and perhaps on older firmware but I was wondering if you can confirm if you are able to successfully transfer calls using an M9 and 3CX?

Paul

5. efounco

efounco New Member

The SNOM M9 works OK using the latest Firmware. Transferring and hold works fine with 3CX. However, we ran into a couple of issues involving ring-all groups with 3CX, SNOM M9 and SPA504G phones. Occasionally the phone would send a false disconnect signal to the server and disconnect the incoming call. The problem was intermittent and only seemed to be associated with certain incoming calls. We never "fixed" the problem but instead removed the SNOM M9s from the ring-all group. This eliminated the problem. As a standalone phone the SNOM M9 works fine (although not supported).

If you have an office environment, I would not recommend using wireless phones exclusively. Not only is the call quality lesser, transferring, parking and multi-line operations are much more difficult on a wireless phones. At the very least, get the operator(s) a nice phone with multiple BLF keys.

As for shared parking on a wireless phone, setup a group of virtual extensions inside of 3CX to dial an external number (500, 501, etc.). For the external number use SP0, SP1, SP2, etc. When you put a call into shared parking, simply dial the extension number associated with it from any phone and it will connect. You place calls into shared parking by simply transferring the call to the associated extension. BLF keys are nice to have for shared parking but not necessary...

6. pjr

pjr New Member

Thanks for the detailed response - hopefully I can pick your brains a little more?

We provide 3CX on a hosted basis and all our clients are remote. The DECT phones on client sites are in the main a single phone for a user with a requirement to be more mobile than all other desk based users so they are not in exclusive use on a site for the reasons you specified.

Up to now we have been using M3's with up 4 handets on a basestation in some instances. What we have found is that the M3's often break - the handsets are very unreliable, which means we have to send out replacement handsets and then try and get the new handsets to talk to the existing basestation without being onsite - this has proven very difficult as the mechanism for pairing M3's is complex and far too much for our end users to follow and often requires multiple total resets of all handsets and the basestation to get them to work - again far too much for us to ask our remote clients to do.

We looked at the M9 as an obvious replacement but hit the call transfer bug with version 8 and havent looked at them since. Can you confirm call transfer (attended and blind) works with 3CX now (which versions do you use)?

Also what is the procedure like for pairing them with basestations and replacing/swapping handsets? Hopefully it's less complex than the M3. If it's still as bad we may have to look at either a Siemens Gigaset or Panasonic alternative, so if anyone has any expriences with those (good or bad) I'd be happy to hear them (especially in relation to pairing handsets to basestations and reliability of hardware).

Thanks
    Paul

7. efounco

efounco New Member

I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability. We only have a couple M9s in the office and they get very little use compared to other phones.

Our M9s are using firmware version 9.4.12-a; I can confirm that transfers work OK with this firmware revision.

Blind transfers are done by pressing options, selecting transfer call, dial the number/extension, pressing call and hanging up. Attendant transfers are done by pressing options, selecting new call, dialing the number/extension, pressing options and selecting bridge calls. During a blind transfer, the called will not hear MOH; during an attendant transfer, they will...

Adding handsets can be done by accessing the WEB interface, selecting start in the DECT registration section. Then, from the phone's settings, selecting register handset. Removing a handset is done the same way except for selecting deregister handset from the phone's settings. Registration on the base station stays open for 10 minutes to add/remove additional phones if needed. There's also an option to delete all registrations if needed.

The phones feel pretty solid, but the LCD does scratch up easy. Because these phones are mobile and susceptible to being dropped, you might consider putting replacement insurance on them like we did.

8. pjr

pjr New Member

Thanks very much for the detailed response. I will give the M9 another go I think. Which version of 3CX is it you have been using them with?

Thanks

Paul

9. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I have used the Panasonic Kx-TGP550 and the Aastra 6757i CT. They are a little different than the SNOM, which I have not used, as they both have a corded base handset station along with the cordless DECT handsets. The DECT radio is built-in to the corded base station, so you get the advantage of having a regular phone along with the cordless. I believe the SNOM will support up to 9 cordless handsets while the Aastra and Panasonic will only support 6. My users seem to prefer the Panasonic cordless model over the Aastra as it has a more solid feel, but the Aastra does have a template in the 3CX for the base 6757i model which may make your provisioning and phone book easier. The Panasonic cordless uses NiMH batteries that are more readily available and at a cheaper cost. The Aastra uses a flat battery that is around $30 and does not have the same lifespan ( I have to replace about every 9-12 months, but they get heavy use). Both handle blind transfers similar to what was described for the SNOM and have ranges similar (150' indoors and 300" clear line of site). Neither has a color screen and the Aastra is generally more expensive, presumably because they paired it up with their most feature laden SIP desk phone. Aastra does have a portfolio of other SIP/DECT phones, but I have not yet had an occassion to use. I have an upcomming need and will be looking around. I have yet to have a failure in either phone model, so they do seem to be reliable.

10. efounco

efounco New Member

We use 3CX version 10.

11. skagen

If you have decent WiFi in place, you could use polycom spectralink phones. We use the 8002. It is a basic WiFi IP phone, no bells or whistles, but it doeas the job. It has vibrate in case you are using them on a shop floor where you might not hear it ring. Easy to configure in 3cx, hardest part was setting phone up to connect to WiFi network because you have to use the keypad to enter the network security code.

12. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

I have used the Panasonic Kx-TGP550, and have had no issues. Really easy to set up voice quality is great I'd suggest using these handsets to all my clients with cordless needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.