Possible problem/solution with Dual NICs

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jlebeau, Sep 7, 2007.

1. jlebeau

I was having intermittent problems with outbound audio on calls with my setup. I kept getting the message in the call log about RTP attempting to connect to IP 0.0.0.0--the same issue that many people have found where firewalls caused problems, but I didn't have a firewall enabled.

My phone server has 2 NICs and one was connected to my data network for admin access. When 3CX started, it treated that as the main network, and so then all of my phones were trying to access a different network (though it was the same server.) Usually it worked ok, but about 1 call in 10 would have the problem.

So I disabled the NIC connected to my data network and the problem is gone.

So, if you have a machine with multiple NICs connected, you may want to watch that issue.

2. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

If you want more than 1 nic for higher speeds or load balancing you can team up your nics so they act as 1 with the same IP. If you're using 2 nics for router like functions then you'll have the issues you reported.

3. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestion Rob

In the new version - we have addressed the problem of multiple NICS and i am happy to say that multiple NICS will be fully supported in V4. We are hoping to get it out of the door by early October.....

4. jlebeau

Well, I wasn't going for the bandwidth. I inherited a network with some older equipment that doesn't support QoS, but the phones were all wired with Cat5e, so I just put a quality switch there and put the phones on a different network, and then I used the second NIC to connect to my data network for admin access. Since I didn't have Routing installed and configured on the server, it was dropping a lot of traffic intended for the other network even though it was on the same machine.

My fixed setup is working much better and I will end up teaming the two NICs (Broadcom hardware/drivers work great with this) for the redundancy.