• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Possible problem with stun.3cx.com ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geogeogr

Reaction score
Is stun.3cx.com working?

I have been struggling to make connections between external extensions work for the last 3 hours. I had no sound, and the connection kept dropping after a while (15 to 30 seconds) although NAT is OK and all lines are set "external" (no media server binding).

I needed to change the stun server from stun.3cx.com in order to successfully make it work...

Have others noticed some kind of a problem with this?
I have created an installable version of a softphone for my colleagues, which uses this stun server, I guess I need to change that?

Not sure where the stun server is located but you might be wright that it is down.

It times out.

Traffic in europe is pretty high at the moment, the traffic index is 53 (the index is 0-100 where 100 is the best).

Not sure where your are, but from australia the it times out. My traffic is routed via the US and it appears that a DNS server from cable and wireless in NewYork has troubles.

Try as alternative stun.voipbuster.com they are sitting on the same nameserver but might be routed different.

That's interesting. I've been strugling with external SIP phone communications for some time now and never thought to try a different STUN server. How has that worked out for you. Any better since changing?

Brian
http://www.jaydien.com

We have had no problems with the stunserver so far in our installation. Well see if the network problem gets resolved if not we will consider another stunserver

atm all my extern lines show red but if i use one it run but have one way audio

00:55:51.828 CallMgr::failResolveExtIp Failed to resolve external IP!
00:55:51.828 StunClient::process STUN failed to resolve external IP using server 80.239.235.209
00:55:48.765 StunClient::process Send initial STUN request to 80.239.235.209
00:55:48.656 StunClient::process STUN failed to resolve external IP using server 80.239.235.209
00:55:45.593 StunClient::process Send initial STUN request to 80.239.235.209
00:55:45.484 StunClient::process STUN failed to resolve external IP using server 80.239.235.209

Brian,

In theory you can use any server U want. I recomment to use on that is on your closes pop eg if your ISP has one use that one.

It is Simple Traversal of UDP through NAT... :lol:

It would be nice to get iax :).

Stun Server

is there alternate stun server that can be used?

Definitely looks as if stun.3cx.com is not responding. Curiously stun.3cx.com = stun.voipbuster.com = 80.239.235.209

From an ethereal packet capture I am seeing no response to the stun requests.

I switched to stunserver.org - simply because this was the default set up in a program I found to test stun servers: http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/STUN_client.asp

I'm not sure how this program works as it seems to throw more than 2000 UDP stun messages at the poor old server, in my case testing stun.3cx.com reports udp blocked.

Stun is working again for me with stunserver.org - don't forget to restart the server or 3cx won't make the change!

STUN

Thanks. Do you need to install the program in order to use it.

No install required but you do need to register to download, as far as I can see it just requires .NET on your PC. I have some reservations with this program due to the load it must put on the stun server, anyone know a better way of testing stun servers?

Of course none of this needed to get 3cx working. just change to a new stun server in the 3cx config and then restart.

Cjay
(sent from my mobile phone so hopefully no typos)

I dont think it makes sense to run your own stunserver. If you dont want to use the 3CX one, I am sure your VOIP provider will be able to provide you with one.

Testing stun servers

Nick,
the object of the exercise was to be able to test whether a particular stun server was responding - for example stun.3cx.com was down all weekend but seems to be responding again now.

I have found a much better program to test stun servers than the one I mentioned above, WinStun available from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=47735 This is a well behaved program in the sense that it only throws about 20 STUN request and also reports back on firewall type.

Cjay.

Hi,

I can confirm that we've been using http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=47735 for a while and so far so good.

Hello
I use to have problems with stun.3cx.com reachability before from a few locations. Finally I've decided to install own winstun server and my general impression is entire system works more stable. 'Strange' problems with one-way audio and remote softphones registration problems disappeared, also call setup seems to be faster. So if you have 2 spare public IPs, I would advice to give winstun a try.

Thanks

Marcin

what

Yep i like the idea of a primary and secondary STUN option.

I actually found that if you just put the IP of the stun server in, it all becomes a lot better aswell.

Multiple organisations (this is an assumption though) use same stun servers, difference is the DNS (as you seen with 3cx and voipbuster), if you had the IP in the stun box you might have had less troubles.

Installing a sun server locally, is my prefered option but that is just me.
second option is to find a stun server at your ISP.
Third stun on extneral network like 3cx or voip buster stun server.

and what i realy need is a restert My3CX Server after change of settings.

ok he say always for change of port # you have to restart server but - you have to restart for a quick change of stun too.

so please give us a "restart 3cx server" BUTTON

I have never gotten STUN to work!

Downloaded WinStun and tested with several STUN servers. All tested fine. Yet, when I change the server in 3CX nothing works. The 3CX STUN server tests fine with WinStun but still does not resolve.

13:55:04.927 CallMgr::failResolveExtIp Failed to resolve external IP!
13:55:04.927 StunClient::process STUN failed to resolve external IP using server 194.221.62.209
13:55:01.864 StunClient::process Send initial STUN request to 194.221.62.209
13:55:01.755 StunClient::process STUN failed to resolve external IP using server 194.221.62.209
13:54:58.693 StunClient::process Send initial STUN request to 194.221.62.209
13:54:58.583 StunClient::process STUN failed to resolve external IP using server 194.221.62.209

Yes, I have port 3478 open and forwarded to my server.

Did you restart 3cx after changing the stun server?

Yes, each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.