Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Possible to make speed dial rule to pick up other extension?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Jtc11, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jtc11

I know how to make a speed dial so that a user can, for example, dial *26 and be routed to 222-333-4444.

I also know to pick up somebody else's extension, by dialing *20* and then the extension.

However I'm wondering, is it possible to make a "speed dial" where in the user dials *26 and that picks up a call on a specific extension?

In other words, is there any way to map *26 to *20*1001?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Re: Possible to make speed dial rule to pick up other extens

I'm thinking that you would have to do so using the dialplan within the set, if, the set/ATA, you are using, has that option.

3. Jtc11

So you're suggesting that it would have to be set up, not within the 3CX server configuration, but rather elsewhere?

And if elsewhere, do you mean perhaps a VOIP gateway, such as a PATTON?

Sorry about the confusion, I was under the impression this would be something handled in the 3CX Phone System configuration web GUI...

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The speed call that you mentioned makers use of outbound rules, because, of course, the call is going out on a trunk not performing a PBX feature function.
    While there may be a way to write an application, to do what you are attempting. the easiest way would be to manipulate the digits, within the set, before they are sent on to 3CX.

A number of devices, (I'm most familiar with the Cisco/Linksys line), have an internal dialplan that allows just about any dialled digits to be matched, then changed into anything else, before being sent out.

It accomplishes the same sort of thing as outbound rules, but does it within the device.

have a look at..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10033/products_qanda_item09186a0080a35a44.shtml

5. Jtc11

This sounds like exactly what I need. Perfect, thanks for clarifying that!

[EDIT]

Just an update, it worked perfectly. For Yealink phones, go into the web GUI, under "Settings" > "Dial Plan" > "Replace Rule":

I used "*87" as the prefix, "*20*3101" as the replace field, and "1" as the account, because I believe that refers to line 1, the only line ever used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.