Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Post-install restore of v14 to v15

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by giwm, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giwm

giwm New Member

I installed v15 on a new VM to make sure everything would work as expected before jumping from v14. Now that I'm ready, is there any way post-install to restore the v14 backup to v15? I know I could do it during the installation (which I did initially) but I didn't include things like voicemails.

I copied the backup to the same directory, but it doesn't populate in the 3CX interface. What are my options here?

2. npereira@cbnco.com

Hi, I opened a ticket with 3cx for this, because I tried the same.

Support told me that there is no function to restore post-install on v15... Ya I know, sucks. But one thing may be due to the new way the certificates work...

Anyway, it's not possible, sorry.

P.s.: I also noted to 3cx that the documentation does note state that is is not possible, and was told the documentation will be update to specifically state this issue of v15...

giwm likes this.
  3. giwm

giwm New Member

Odd that it'd be capable of doing it during the install, but there's nothing post-install to do the same, since the programming is essentially all completed. I wonder if there's a way to manually pull in things like voicemails. I'm guessing it's not as simple as copy/paste the files themselves.

4. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

There are some settings that need to be converted from v14 to v15 that are only done during the installation. What i can suggest you can do if you do not want to re-install your current installation is to get a free key from our website, install v15 on a different machine and restore the V14 backup there then perform a backup from that installation without including license and FQDN and restore it on your current installation

giwm likes this.
  5. giwm

giwm New Member

Excellent idea. Kind of wish I'd thought of that. :) Thanks!

6. npereira@cbnco.com

Let me know if that works as Im not sure with the change of IP and all for the PBX itself.

7. giwm

giwm New Member

Well... I think I jacked something up now. That or 3CX is having an issue that I don't know about. Trying to get through the initial setup screen after doing the restore and I get:

License Activation Failed
    license_error.httpsErr_InvalidResponseHeader

I think my original backup had the licensing info in it... which was my mistake. Thoughts?

8. giwm

giwm New Member

Side note: I tried entering my trial key after the restore, and that didn't work either. So, maybe it's not me? :) Maybe???

9. giwm

giwm New Member

Well, I reinstalled the 'intermediate' v15 and it activated with my existing license (since I can't exclude it from a v14 backup). Then did a backup without license or FQDN info on the intermediate v15. Finally, I did a restore using the command line utility on my target v15 and I get the same error. License activation failed. Ugh. I think I'll just skip this route and just reinstall v15 fresh with the v14 backup, hope it licenses properly, and hope my phones work when I'm done. This is a lot of hoping.

10. giwm

giwm New Member

It was an ACL issue on our switch... oops. All the setup I've been doing and the last line of the ACL was never actually applied after a tweak. I blame Mondays.

11. giwm

giwm New Member

@dataIT Probably best to work with your 3CX vendor on this. That said, you're going to want to do 'in-place' upgrades to get the backups to the correct version level. I accomplished this using a dummy installation, but it's a little tricky with licensing. That said, I was moving servers at the same time I was doing the upgrade, so that added to the level of complexity.

12. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

When you are trying to restore an older version of the PBX then you need to provide the backup during the installation as the phone system will not recognise any backup from previous version after the installation is finished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.