Practise upgrade from v12.5, licensing issue?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by slippyr4, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slippyr4

Aug 18, 2014
    I am still running v12.5 and i'd like to upgrade to the latest version. I have a perpetual 8 call pro license with a valid maintenance.

Since the method is backup / uninstall / install new version / restore from backup, I would really like to do a practise run on a disposable virtual machine to verify that it works.

However, I don't really understand 3cx licensing: if i did do a practise run will it cause issues with activating my license when I do the real upgrade?

2. eddv123

eddv123 Member

Aug 15, 2017
    I think chances of you being able to test this are slim (go up and then back again), the 3CX licencing structure between 12.5 and 15.5 have changed considerably - that being said I have not tried this.

When v15 came out the transition back and forth between 15>14 and back was possible as we were downgrading keys when the hotel module was not originally included in v15.

When it does come to backup time:

1) Make a backup of your current configuration using the 3CX Backup and restore tool.

2) Tick the options to include in your backup, then choose where to save your backup.

Warning: Do not choose to store the backup inside any of the 3CX Phone System installation folders as these folders are removed during the uninstall process.

3) Uninstall the current version from the “Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features”.

4) Now download the 3CX Phone System of choice.

5) Proceed with the installation. Restore your configuration when prompted.

Note:From v12.5 SP2 you can go to 15(.5) *

Backups from previous versions can only be restored during the installation of the pbx.
    Here are all the installer files that you will require:
    #2 eddv123, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  3. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

May 10, 2016
    Adding to what eddv123 said, try using a free 3CX key for you test and not your actual key as you may not be able to downgrade it after it has been activated to a higher version.

Perform your backup from V12.5 and shut down V12.5 so it doesn't create conflicts in the activation of the new installation.
    Spin a new virtual machine.
    Then i would recommend installing V14 and restoring your backup there.
    Perform a backup from V14 and then install V15.5 and restore the V14 backup there. You can go directly to V15.5 from 15.5 but you will need to run the call history converter to retain your call history.
    Test that everything is ok nad if you are happy you can just perform a backup of the new installation without including licence and FQDN and re-install the new backup with your key and FQDN to the primary machine.
    You can see the upgrade paths here
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.