Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Preferences not saved

Discussion in 'Windows' started by gpsjeff717, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gpsjeff717

That's interesting... I'm having similar problem, but my phone doesn't retain Phonebook entries.
    I'm testing same version as you as a standalone softphone with my voip provider.

Mine is saving audio preferences, ok. (I'm using Windows XP SP3) but not loading phonebook entries.

You can find the Preferences .ini file here (at least on XP):

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\3CX VoIP Phone\3CXVoipPhone.ini

When I check my .ini file, it does retain my audio device preferences, and obviously reads and loads it every time I start the softphone.

Unfortuantely, in my case, my Phonebook does not load properly on startup. (even though the phonebook .ini files are created)

2. gpsjeff717

Simplesip, I wish it was just that easy :)

I do have one suggestion for you.
    I just did some testing by directly editing the audio devices set in the 3CXVoipPhone.ini file, and it worked for me.

Here is what I did:
    Close the softphone app.
    I directly edited my Sound devices to alternate devices in the .ini file.
    I then restarted the softphone.... and it used the devices as I set directly in the .ini file!

Here is the settings in the .ini file I changed:
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\3CX VoIP Phone\3CXVoipPhone.ini

[General]
    CallerID=3CXPhone
    SndMicGUID=Plantronics Headset <------- :idea:
    SndPlayGUID=Plantronics Headset <-------- :idea:
    SndRingGUID=SigmaTel Audio <-------- :idea:

Try manually setting the "SndmicGUID", "SndPlayGUID", and "SndRingGUID" values after = to be explicitly as listed in your sound devices, using the device you prefer.

P.S.
    Can you check your Phonebook .ini's and let me know the exact FileName used for the Contacts .ini file and Phones .ini file?
    I noticed that when I try recreating a new phone book (because it can't find the old one), it seem to create a new .ini files with names that increment in number. It seems to me it just can't seem to keep track of what file to reopen next time the softphone restarts....?

3. gpsjeff717

Thanks for that feedback Simplesip..... it helped me fix my phonebook issue!

What I found:
    I Always register my ATA's and softphones using CallCentric.com as the domain name and proxy instead of using their IP address. I was puzzled by the IP address appended to the Contacts and Phones .ini files names. At first I didn't make the connection to CallCentrics IP address (I never use their IP address).

What I discovered was that CallCentric uses about 9 different servers with different IP address. When the domain or proxy name is translated from CallCentric.com to the proxy IP address is uses one of the 9 available IP addresses. When I login and CallCentric translates to a different IP address, then it appears that the 3CXPhone is looking for an Contact and Phone list that is appended with that IP address. Well, those different IP's don't exist because I didn't create a phonebook under that IP name..... very confusing.... but now I get what's going on.

I guess the 3CXPhone is always assuming that the IP-PBX or VoIP proxy it is registering with is always using the same IP address...

4. gpsjeff717

Unfortunately for me, I tried configuring the 3CXPhone using one of the CallCentric IP addresses instead of callcentric.com ... and, it can't place calls..... but the phone book works with the address I set. So, for now, I'll have to live without the 3CXPhone Phonebook not working with CallCentric.com. :cry:

It does work using voip.ms proxy names. And, of course that's because voip.ms assigns each of their POP servers with a unique host name... like toronto.voip.ms or houston.voip.ms, and of course that's because each proxy name resolves to only 1 IP address.

P.S
    Sorry for hogging your space here Simplesip. At least you helped me find my problem.

I hope someone posts a solution here for your "Preference Not Saved" issue...

5. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The new VoIP Phone has an option in the settings to forbid the VoIP Phone from stealing your focus.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Simple
    This happen also using the latest 13011 version?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

To make things clearer, I will break your post (later), since there are three issues we are talking about, but first let's clarify the most important one, phone version - from where do you downloaded it? As far as I know, the "official" place is from blog, so if an old link is still available somewhere, please let me know to notify our guys which maintain the website.
    This is the direct link
    http://www.3cx.com/downloads/3CXPhone4_13011.msi
    Regards

8. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

ok, that's some good news then 8)
    The package is bigger due to video support.
    About sound devices, please do the following test when you have time:
    - exit 3CXphone
    - open it's configuration file with an text editor which notifies you when the file has been changed from outside (for instance, Notepad++) and keep it opened.
    - open 3cxPhone
    - configure audio devices you want in Preferences and click OK.
    - check/reload the configuration file in the editor and see if the changes are there as you expected (1)
    - exit 3CXphone
    - check/reload the configuration file in the editor and see if the changes are there as you expected (2)
    - open 3CXphone
    - check/reload the configuration file in the editor and see if the changes are there as you expected (3)
    Then, please tell me when (1, 2, or 3) changes are dissappearing.
    Thanks

9. dataunit

Hi together

i've got the same problem like simplesip.
    the audio settings in my 3CXVoipPhone.ini - File are correct, but when i restart the phone, my audio settings in the phone interface changed to "primary sound card driver" (but not in the .ini-File).

Is there a solution for this problem?

Best regards
    Rafael

10. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

simplesip's message is almost four months old. Which 3CXphone version do you have? Issue happen for all drivers, or only for some of them? It happen on a normal configuration, or one done by Remote Desktop Connection?

11. dataunit

Hi Vali

some informations:
    3CXPhone ver. 4.0.13527.0
    3CX Assistant 9.0.13537.0
    Windows XP with SP3

12. dataunit

EDIT: it's a normal configuration, and the error appears for all drivers.

13. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi,

Can you please upgrade to this?
    http://www.3cx.com/downloads/3CXPhone5.msi

Using the same old build forever won't miraculously fix your issue :mrgreen:

14. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You're either keeping an eye out for a fix or you're not. Your comments above contradict each other.
    The fact is that the fix is here, i gave you the link, whether you want to install it and see if your issue is resolved is clearly up to you.
    I'm just trying to help you out here.

15. dataunit

Hi Leonidas

thank you. in the new version it works!

EDIT: i've got another question. now, the company phonebook is also available, but is there something like a search-function?
    we have a lot of contacts and at the moment i've to scroll-down to the right contact...

16. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You're welcome :mrgreen:
    But thanks go to Vali

17. dataunit

Hehe, oh.. Vali, thank you too ;)

now, i've another question:
    the company phonebook is also available now, but is there a search-function or something like that?
    ....lot of contacts and at the moment i've to scroll-down to the right contact.

18. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Oddly enough i'm able to download it at full speed without any corruption issues as well.
    Maybe your connection or browser may be causing an issue here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.