Preparing to install new 3CX system

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by JVH, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JVH

JVH

Hi all,
    I am preparing to convert our phone system over to VOIP using 3CX. Initially it will be POTS lines coming in with VOIP internally. May add a fractional T-1 later.

Current system:
    NEC Electra Professional PBX.
    50 extensions mixed between Digital (proprietary) and Analog (IS).
    12 CO lines (8 Voice, 4 Data/Fax) Data/Fax lines not routed through the PBX.

New system:
    Dell Desktop w/ Intel dual core
    Grandstream GXW4108 8 FXO port analog gateway (this will be unnecessary if we go T-1 true external VOIP.)
    30 VOIP SIP phones
    15 VOIP SIP WiFi phones.
    6 WiFi Access Points
    8 POE Switches.
    I have installed new CAT 5 cable to be used only for the phone system.

Here is where the 3CX forum community can help me.

Which desk phones to use?
    1. need to be durable (home depot type environment)
    2. Must have 8 call arrival keys. I.e. a light and button for each outside line.
    I have a Grandstream GXP2000 and an AASTRA 9133i for testing, but want to hear opinions.

Which WiFi phones to use?
    I would love to have ones that switch from access point to access point using fast handoff. But not sure if that is working yet.

Any opinion on Access Points?
    I have a Linksys WAP45GP for testing.

Any opinion on POE Switches?
    I have a Linksys SRW208P for testing.

I am wondering if I can do a gradual switchover by hooking both systems to the CO lines and then switching over each dept one at a time.

I also have a Valcom paging system that is configured as a CO line on the old system.
    But I would like to convert over to IP based paging speakers.

Any input and ideas would be appreciated.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There are some VERY expensive WiFi phones on the market (single line) that may do what you want but you will pay "through the nose" for them and battery life isn't the best if away from a charger for too long. depending on the coverage area you might want to consider a DECT cordless phone coupled with an ATA.

While is is somewhat perhaps possible in theory it is a LOT of work (much more than it is worth) and many features won't work well together. Having outside lines running to two PBX's is not recommended as a person on one system may want to transfer to a person on another. You've got dialling plans and feature code conflicts, etc.... It is really best to build the new system alongside but not use the new sets until you've made tests (including the outside lines) on off hours/weekends and you are sure that most of the bugs have been worked out, and that the staff is familiar with the differences in the new system There will always be something that has been forgotten, it might be something critical or just something simple but
    , leave the old PBX in place (for a while) on the off chance that you have to cut back (in a hurry).

3. JVH

JVH

Thanks for the input on both issue.
    The reason for the request on the wifi phones is that we have so much metal shelfing in our buildings that regular cordless phones die withing 75 feet of the bases. We need to roam up to 400 feet. I am trying to not have to use a micro cellular system like spectrolink uses.

On the switch over I think we can install the new phones completely and then switch all at once then tear out the old system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.