Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Preserving Original CallerID on external transferred calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Colddevil, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colddevil

I have been struggling with this for a while now, and I know it's been talked about before, but I feel like I've tried just about everything.

Problem 1: When an incoming call is transferred to an external number, the callerID on the external phone shows our company's main number. We would like the original callerID to be transferred through. It's causing me a lot of headaches with our salesmen because they do not retain the potential customer's information.

Problem 2: I believe I am struggling with the way I am asking questions to Time Warner because they have let me know on two separate occasions that this should work. I may also be misinterpreting the capabilities of 3CX.

Question: Is it possible to send the original CallerID on a call transferred externally to a user's mobile phone? Note, I can forward it while the user is away using the 302 diversion header forwarded to their cell phone. I cannot figure out how to transfer it from one user to another.

Question 2: When a call is transferred to an external number, will it always continue to tie up one of the trunk lines until that call is completed? Even if it's two external numbers speaking with each other? Or is there a way to essentially cut our PBX out of the call, so they connect together directly.

Equipment:
    • 3CX Phone System Professional Edition Version 14
    • Time Warner Cable SIP Trunk
    • InnoMedia Gateway/Switch (Time Warner's)
    • Secondary - Time Warner (3) Coax lines on Patton 4114 FXO gateway
    • Polycom SP450 Phones

What I've tried
    • Extension Forwarding Rules I've recently learned that using the 302 diversion header does work for calls to the extension's unique DID. It forwards the call to the external mobile phone with the original CallerID. It does not tie up one of our lines. If I do not use the 302 Diversion header, the forwarded call shows our company main number and ties up one of our trunk lines.

Transferred calls do not appear to be impacted by these settings. So calls transferred from our building to our sales team always look like they're coming from our main number. These calls will always tie up a trunk for the entirety of the call.
      [​IMG]
    • Outbound Parameters on the SIP trunk--I've messed with a lot of them, but this is how I believe they are supposed to be setup.
      [​IMG]

Thanks for taking the time to read through this! :)

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The originators caller ID should be passed on , when using VoIP trunks, if the provider allows it. The "from user part" setting should work, but it can vary by provider. As I discovered, my VoIP provider made some changes that stopped CID from being passed on, but they told me that the changes that were made should not have affected that.
    I was using the "ring my mobile at the same time" option.

I would first confirm that you can change any caller ID on outgoing calls. One of the easiest way is to pick an extension, then put a number into the "Outbound caller ID" field. If this is left blank, then your main billing number is usually sent out. Previously, when CID worked properly, I could put anything in there and it would show at the called parties end.

As far as tying up two trunks, I'm afraid that is how it is going to work, as you are not using the call forwarding services of your provider. The call will pass through 3CX until disconnected.

3. Colddevil

Leejor,

I really appreciate the response. I believe that you are correct in what you've described, and hopefully myself and anyone reading this can learn from it.

I tried out a couple of things you'd suggested:
    • First, I tried changing the CallerID on specific extensions, and I was able to successfully change the outgoing callerID as long as it was registered as a DID on the trunk. If I tried anything else (like my mobile number), it would use the company's main number.
    • Second, I tried using a backup trunk line I have at another location (SIP.US trunk), and that worked to change the outbound CallerID without issue. I could make it whatever I wanted.
    • Third, I wasn't able to test if it transferred the original callerID on SIP.US correctly since I've only got the one line. I transferred it over the PRI there, but that also rewrote over the callerID with the main number, so I'll have the same issue at that location.

So it sounds like my issue is with Time Warner overwriting any CallerID changes that are not registered to the SIP trunk.

My question still remains then, what exactly should I be asking the Time Warner technical support when I call them next time to see if CallerID rewriting is an option? I'm not clueless about how this works, but I am far from an expert, and they seem to just overwhelm me with numbers, protocols, and standards until I get lost and give up. At least now I'm pretty certain where the issue lies.

Thanks.

4. PhatPanda

We had the same need here to pass along the caller's CID when transferred to say a cell phone, and can confirm the settings you changed worked for our SIP trunk provider (VoipInnovations), and the cell phone received the correct caller CID, not our company's CID.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

From the results of your tests, it sounds as if they will let you change the outgoing number as long as it is to one that they have issued you. What you are trying to do is really referred to as spoofing, but not a term that you want to mention to them as it has negative connotations, when used in telephone scams. Describe what you want to happen, a caller passes through the PBX and you want the originators number to show on your mobile. I'm going to assume that the answer will be no , who knows, it might be an optional paid "feature" that could be made available.

6. artsx

hi,

I am running into similar issue. The issue is related to caller ID presentation during outgoing calls to 3CX extensions via 3CX PBX. The test scenario is the following:

1. Asterisk PBX connected to 3CX PBX.
    2. Extension 101 registered on 3CX PBX
    3. Extension 101 makes outgoing call to number 0041335085054
    4. As soon as the latter is answering the call, Asterisk PBX set the callerid(num) and callerid(name) equal to 0041335085054 and dials another call towards internal extension 99999. Presented callerid is 0041335085054. This scenario could be organized with different SIP service providers, with same result, which is normal
    5. Asterisk set the callerid(num) and callerid(name) equal to 0041335085054 and PBX dials extension 402 on 3CX PBX. Presented callerid is 101/ Predictive System.

I want to understand what parameter(PAI, RPID, CallerID(num), CallerID(name)?) I need to change during the call to achieve calling address presentation change according to my needs. Or maybe some parameter need to be changed on 3CX PBX side, either maybe instead of extension 101 I need to have a trunk registered towards 3CX PBX in order to be able to setup different callerIDs during calls.

if needed i can provide the pcap trace for all three calls mentioned above.

thank you in advance for your time and consideration

7. artsx

8. Colddevil

Leejor,

Just wanted to let you know that this is the case with Time Warner (for my plan at least). I am able to change the outgoing CallerID to any of my registered 40 DID's, but if I try to pass an outside number by forwarding, it will not allow it.

I tested it out with a backup line from SIP.us that I have at another site, and I had no issue changing it to whatever I wanted.

It sucks, but that's all I can do. Just wanted to let you and anybody else with this issue know.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.