Press 7 to leave a fax

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jimbo59, Feb 21, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbo59

jimbo59 Member

Would this be possible?

I would like to point the analog fax line inbount and also for backup when internet down and would like to use IVR to allow user to press 7 or default to fax on one particular IVR.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If I understood this right, you like to have a sort of fax detection and diversion as a fax device inbound call can not press the 7 to go to the fax service. Can you detail the request a bit more so we get the bigger picture?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Most users, sending a fax, don't have the ability (or wouldn't know) to press a number in an IVR.

You load the document, dial the number, and walk away, or, stand there until it finishes, oblivious as to what is happening, until you get the confirmation, or rejection screen/message.

Many fax machines have the volume down so you can't even hear dial, or progress tones. I would also think that establishing T.38 would be a problem if the call were answered by an IVR.

I'm thinking that incoming you would have to dedicate the fax line to the fax extension, but outbound rules would allow calls to use the fax line as a back-up, if the first route (I'm assuming VoIP), were not available.

4. jimbo59

jimbo59 Member

Right, for our analog fax line, I would like to make an IVR that would allow it to go to a queue but would default to answering a fax. This is for our single analog line that also acts as a backup line when the internet goes down and yes it goes down.

"Thank you for calling. Our main line is down and this is our fax line. Please press 1 for service, 2 for construction or do nothing to send a fax."

Thanks

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

How would you deal with routing the "main number", that usually rings in on the VoIP trunks, to the fax line when your internet went down?

6. jimbo59

jimbo59 Member

The VOIP provider allows forward when no connect. So I forward to the fax line.

7. Sopock

Sopock Member

That would be another enterprise feature:
    The Trunk Overflow feature (where available) automatically reroutes all inbound calls to another phone number when all call paths in the trunk group are in use.

• Fax detection is one of the interactive voice response (IVR) applications. Fax detection supports the use of a single E.164 number for both voice mail and fax mail by providing the capability to detect through an interactive voice response interface whether an incoming call is voice or fax.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

That "feature" would rely on communication between a provider and 3CX, would it not? The desired function is for rerouteing when the internet connection is down.

Does it route to a Fax extension (ATA), or only to the 3CX "Fax mail".

9. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I see the issue in the part that a fax device (sending, outside) will not wait so long for the IVR to pass. On connect they will start sending the preable for fax and then when there is no answer it will disconnect. Also if the provider uses T38 for fax delivery the call will terminate...

10. Sopock

Sopock Member

Concept is similar:
    ...we will first attempt to send the incoming call to your Primary SIP trunk (presumably your Primary IP-PBX or ATA), if for some reason there is no response from that destination, we will attempt to send that call to your Secondary SIP trunk (presumably your Secondary IP-PBX or ATA), then if that still fails you have the option of finally routing the call to a PSTN failover number of your choice.

We can also see request from 2010:
    Is 3CX capable of detecting a fax call on a incoming PSTN line that is shared for voice communication?

Possible solution is to use passive fax switch:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.