• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Prevent caller to dial some extentions assigned to other DID

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickK

Reaction score
I cant find a way to do this. outbound rules can be configured for certain extension, how about inbound?
Lets say i have 5 DIDs and 15 extensions. I want that caller calling DID#1 be able to call only extensions 101, 102, 103
callers calling DID#2 - can dial extension 201, 202, 203
and so on
how is that possible?
Please Help!

A DID or (range of DID's) are what you "buy" from your provider. If you are given 5 DID's then you have 5 numbers to do so what you will. if you assign then to ring extensions directly (true DID function) then the 5 numbers will only reach 5 extensions, one each. Example...212 555-1100-> ext 100, 212 555-1101-> Ext 101, etc. If a number rings into the automated attendant, then a caller can be given the opportunity to reach more users from the one, main, number.

NickK said:
I cant find a way to do this. outbound rules can be configured for certain extension, how about inbound?
Lets say i have 5 DIDs and 15 extensions. I want that caller calling DID#1 be able to call only extensions 101, 102, 103
callers calling DID#2 - can dial extension 201, 202, 203
and so on
how is that possible?
Please Help!

Create ring groups for the extensions and add them
e.g. Ring group 1 has 101, 102, and 103 in it.
Ring group 2 has 201, 201, 203 in it.

Then in your inbound rules get DID 1 to ring group 1, Did2 to ring group 2 etc.

i guess i didnt explain this right.
1st and 2nd answers are right but what i really want to do is this:
person calles in and Auto Attendant says "if you know your party extension please dial it now"
but i have 3 different business: painting, windows, doors

there are 5 sales guys with different extensions and answer machines on all of them

hi, it's John, from custom painting at extension 101, please leave a message. Phone# 111-111-1111
hi, it's John, from custom windows at extension 201, please leave a message. Phone# 222-222-2222
hi, it's John, from custom doors at extension 301, please leave a message. Phone# 333-333-3333
and so on

i dont want people dialed 111-111-1111 reach extension 301

Yes, you create 3 different Automated attendants, each is reached with one of the 3 telephone numbers, each goes only to the extensions that deal with a particular service.

i set up Auto Attendant for just 2 key
key 0 - 201 extension (press 0 for sales)
key 1 - 202 extension (press 1 for support)

but if i dial 303 quickly i still will get transfered to 303 extension which not suppose to be permitted for this DID, or auto attendant.
So in other words all my 30 extension can be reached on any inbound number the caller can dial.

I think I am with you now.

so you have 3 dids - 111-111-1111, 222-222-2222, 333-333-3333 (one for each business).

You then create auto attendants for each did (maybe more than 1 per did as you may want main hours and out of hours) and use inbound rules to point the did to the AA.

You then create call queues for each business' department (eg. sales for painting, support for painting, sales for windows, support for windows etc.). Add the extensions to the queues. Then turn on the append/prepend group name in general settings so people will see the queue name when their extension rings. (e.g. if ext 201 is in Windows Sales, Windows Support and Painting Support) then when his phone rings he will see which queue was called and can answer "Welcome to Painting Support, this is John").

Then in each AA you use the menu to point to the queue. To stop those other extensions (eg 301) for that auto attendant then fill the menu of the (in this case 3) key to either route to a queue (e.g. sales) or repeat prompt.

Finally for different voice mails we create dummy extensions (e.g. 501 for Painting Sales, 502 for Painting Support) and point the relevant AA or Afterhours AA to that dummy extensions voicemail box. The emails for these dummy extensions go to the relevant person or dist group so they can take care of them in the morning.

Then add these dummy extensions to the new multi ext capably 3cx assistant (and optionally add some as profiles in the 3cx phone) so you can listen and delete the voicemails.

That should solve most of your problems.

Still no luck.
even when key "2" assigned to any of the actions as "end call" or "do this or that" if caller dial 201 he WILL be redirected to whatever is on that 202 (call queues or anything) and so far a i cant figure a way to stop callers of dialing wrong extension.
It's really strange there is no easy solution for this, because if 3cx user planing on having more than one DID its obvious that on

111-111-1111 could be
101 John
102 Michael
103 ALex

and on 222-222-2222

201 Julia
202 Maria
203 Sam

and i dont want people when dialling 111-111-1111 reach any people from the second group(222-222-2222), because they have nothing to do with the first company.
or there are should be the way to use "separate companies" or lets say if i want to resell Voip services and use 3cx how do i prevent those extension from being dialed

NickK said:
and i dont want people when dialling 111-111-1111 reach any people from the second group(222-222-2222), because they have nothing to do with the first company.
or there are should be the way to use "separate companies" or lets say if i want to resell Voip services and use 3cx how do i prevent those extension from being dialed

I have to wonder why your customers are even trying to dial other peoples extensions anyway? Are they blocked from reaching those people (lines always busy) when calling in the "proper" way? That would be the only reason I could see for people even trying other numbers in an automated attendant, other than perhaps dialling zero to reach an operator (human).

I don't think that 3CX has been designed with VoIP resale, or, multiple customers on one system, in mind.

I have to agree with Leejor. Why are customers "guessing" extensions?

There is a way we have seperate companies - and we run it very successfully. And we host voip for users. It is called 1 pbx per company that needs to be isolated from other companies and works very well for us and is cost effective.

We also have multi tenant systems and we have yet to have a complaint about callers guessing and getting through to the wrong extension.

Are you sure you arent concerned about something that will probably never or very rarely happen? If you think it will happen a lot and it will impact you users then go to 1 pbx per company.

You are right, it's probably a rare that caller would ever dial wrong extension, that's true, but in case he did mistakenly punched 182 instead of 102 i want to make sure he would not reach "John from a window company" while calling "Bob from a flooring company". And as an owner of those 2 companies i find it too expensive and complicated of having to buy 2 3cx systems and even thinking of it.

Isn't this that unrealistic - as simple mistake of punching 182 instead of 102 and you get totally wrong impression on a client?
I constantly check my google analytics and find that people do all kind of mistakes and this could be easiest one.

Anyway i think the option of blocking the extensions or linking allowed extensions to certain DID numbers is essential and it would be nice to have it in future build of 3cx system.

Thank you

I'd like to see that each extension can have "global" parameter or "stick to DID ### " parameter. This way we'll have groups of extension assigned to specific DID if necessary.
This way we can have multiple extensions with the same numbers but assigned to different DIDs.
And in this case i can act as reseller as well and pay for concurrent calls but not for multiple setups, computers, tech guys, headaches.
And In this case i can use extension 101 for all 5 of my companies.

101 - John at "clear windows"
101 - Mike at "natural flooring"

and so on.

If this is a feature that you want, then you should go to http://3cx.ideascale.com as a feature request.

I dont see how that can be done successfully in 3cx without impacting calls. There will be processing overhead for each call and for 99% of users 99% of the time it is unnecessary.

Setting up multiple pbx's for each company isnt too much of an overhead. You buy 3cx by the # of ccs. So rather than 1x 24 license you could get 3x 8 licenses. Yes it is more expensive but not too much. Again for the machines you can virtualize them on one piece of hardware for little or no cost (depends on your Microsoft license). We run lots of pbx's in the cloud for companies at very little cost.

However in your case you might want to look into the Visual Application Designer from 3cx as I believe you will be able to "code" your scenario in it and prevent the wrong extension being dialed. I am not 100% sure as I have never used it, but from my understanding you check the inputs from the user and make changes accordingly (e.g. you can have them enter an account number and look it up in your database etc. so checking the correct extension for a company will be easy).

Setting up multiple pbx's for each company makes only sense if you are pushing to sell more licenses.
Visualizing the windows machines, run few copies simultaneously and switch between them, multiple licenses, maintain all that - it just sounds like something is missing in beginning isn't it?
Yes, that's right, creating an option of ether of assigning extensions to specified DIDs or allowing of creation of identical extension # under different "main extension" or "master extension", "DID extension" or whatever gets assigned with registering new VoIP provider in 3cx setup.
Lets say
10001 can have 101, 102, 103
10002 can have the same

and than when we route the call we do it through "DID extension" and than into assigned extension

I guess it's just me who needs that.

Hope you can understand my English

Re: Prevent caller to dial some extentions assigned to other

We can argue the pros and cons of virtualization and pbx costs but lets agree to disagree.

Take a step back and look at your business needs.

Is it likely to happen - probably not. If it did happen, what are the implications? Either the customer would be very unhappy (not sure why, can get wrong numbers all the time), or confused, or would be happy with the explanation that there are multiple businesses on this system and the customer accidentally dialed the wrong extension. Most are probably aware you have multiple businesses and wouldnt mind as long as they could be transferred to the correct extension.

You could not offer them the ability to dial an extension anyway, by using digital assistants. We have "press 1 for xxx, press 2 for sales etc". As long as you have your options and all keys covered it will work fine.

If it really is absolutely critical then your only option for now is the multiple PBX's (and it is easy believe me - we run 3 here and 2 in the cloud).

Now that isnt to say you may have a required feature and that is why Twiggs suggested you post it on the feature request site (I have about 6 requests on there at present). 3cx will look at the feature and see if it practical and cost effective to implement it and you may see it in the next release.

Thank you for taking time talking about my problem. Maybe you are right, it's not a big deal. Could you recommend a software to virtualize an OS?

NickK said:
Thank you for taking time talking about my problem. Maybe you are right, it's not a big deal. Could you recommend a software to virtualize an OS?

Given that we are talking about 3cx and so would need windows to run on it I recommend Windows Server 2008R2 with Hypervisor.

Another easier way to do it is to use Amazon AWS. They have very low spec windows instances which will work for 3cx. We are testing this setup now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.