Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Prevent user from being 'Called by name'

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bdarcyevans, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdarcyevans

Is it possible to exclude/prevent an extension from being called using the 'Call by Name' Digital Receptionist feature without intentionally misspelling/mistyping their Last name in General Extension Settings, or telling them not to record a Self-identification message? We are only evaluating 3CX at this stage, but in production we would have a select group of users who would not want external callers having the ability to call them "directly" without previously knowing their external DID.

The closest thing I have been able to find is the 'Do not show extension in 3CX company phonebook' setting however this did not seem to have any effect on the 'Call by Name' feature.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I think, and could be wrong as I do not use it that much, that as long as the call by name feature is enabled, the system will forward the call to the extension entered as long as the extension is valid and same was dialed.

I think it is no different in that once you get to the DR, as long as the caller inputs a valid extension, they will be directed there. The recording is simply used as a confirmation that the caller is getting to the person they expected and especially so if there are more than one who share the same names.

The call by name feature merely map digits to the possible name combinations so that if one know that Bill Smith is the contact, but they do not know his extension, they can input the key combination that will associated to SMI and then the system will either direct the call to Bill directly if no other matches are found or start providing his name along with the other matches.

As a result, the way I took your question was if there is a way to preclude/prevent callers from being able to use the DR (by direct extension dialing or by call by name) to reach internal extensions (presumably reached by DID or by the receptionist).......and I do not believe so.

3. CentrexJ

CentrexJ Member

Call by name only works for extensions that have recorded their "self-id message". Simply make sure that extensions you want to be on the call by name have the self-id message and ones that you don't make sure they don't have it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bdarcyevans

Is the self-identification message used for any other purpose within the 3CX system? For example, let's say I instruct my select group of users that want to remain somewhat private not to record their self-identification message, will they appear or function differently when compared to a user that has recorded a self-identification message anywhere else in the system?

5. CentrexJ

CentrexJ Member

No just used for call by name.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.