• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

PRI Gateway Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfletcher2

Reaction score
Hello All,

We manage a phone system for a customer that has 3CX. They have a Patton SN4980/1E24V PRI Gateway. Every 6 months or so this gateway loses it's mind. It seems to me it is flooding the entire corporate network with so much data that it bring everything to a screeching halt. We can verify this by disconnecting the LAN cable and everything flushes out. We have upgraded firmware and been in contact with Patton. They want to troubleshoot it while it is occurring, which I get, but because this happens so randomly we can not plan it and I can not afford to have our largest customers location down to open a ticket with Patton to start the process when it does happen. We have also replaced the hardware and the same thing happens. My best guess is something firmware related....

With that huge mouthful, we would like to just get a replacement from a different manufacturer. Not finding a clear alternative though for a T1 PRI gateway that is supported by 3CX. Does anyone have any recommendations?

If in the US, not certain that you will find much distribution of any supported device other than Patton. I have some 4970 units that have been flawless for over 5 years. Am uncertain why a 4980 as it has more functionality than just t1, but maybe there is a need. If you are running Trinity, I do not believe this is supported by 3CX. The device does have some logs and perhaps these would shed some light.

There are other T1/SIP gateways out there, but you would have to manually configure - Yeastar, Mediatrix, Sangoma.

I can only say, that Patton is really good at what they do, or at least that is my experience. I suggest checking the firmware version just to make certain it is a load that is supported.

If in the US, not certain that you will find much distribution of any supported device other than Patton. I have some 4970 units that have been flawless for over 5 years. Am uncertain why a 4980 as it has more functionality than just t1, but maybe there is a need. If you are running Trinity, I do not believe this is supported by 3CX. The device does have some logs and perhaps these would shed some light.

There are other T1/SIP gateways out there, but you would have to manually configure - Yeastar, Mediatrix, Sangoma.

I can only say, that Patton is really good at what they do, or at least that is my experience. I suggest checking the firmware version just to make certain it is a load that is supported.

Unfortunately, we have updated the firmware on the devices. We actually worked with Patton on this. I also believe they looked at the logs when this occurred at that time and could not find anything that seemed relevant.

We are in the US. Does anyone else have any thoughts on equipment?

I am guessing but have you checked the switch this is plugged into? Sounds like a broadcast storm.

Dinstar. Not supported but awesome and inepensive

Reactions: nfletcher2
I am guessing but have you checked the switch this is plugged into? Sounds like a broadcast storm.

So I originally thought that this could be caused by a storm of traffic originating from the Patton, but your comment made me consider that it could be the switch rebroadcasting the traffic from the Patton. If this were the case, disconnecting the Patton could still clear the problem as we have seen. We will look into the switch. Thank you!

Hi nfletcher2

I had a similar issue a few years back on a BRI Patton gateway here in the UK

I changed the switch port to 10 mbps full duplex and it seemed to solve the issue never had a problems after that. I can only guess it was the auto negotiation between the switch and the device.

Ian

In support of some of the comments on this ticket I would agree that Patton "supported" products with 3CX are rock-solid. We have been distributing them here in the UK for a long time.

And to clarify yes, Trinity products are not currently supported with 3CX currently, I do have templates for these products but for now stick to Smartware based "supported" products.

I would have to agree also that the switch would be the most likely place to concentrate your troubleshooting efforts however for future reference if you want to run logs from the Patton you can use these commands from the CLI of the unit itself to get a clearer idea of what is going on.

https://www.patton.com/support/kb_art.asp?art=446&
Patton themselves may of sent you a guide.

In support of some of the comments on this ticket I would agree that Patton "supported" products with 3CX are rock-solid. We have been distributing them here in the UK for a long time.

And to clarify yes, Trinity products are not currently supported with 3CX currently, I do have templates for these products but for now stick to Smartware based "supported" products.

I would have to agree also that the switch would be the most likely place to concentrate your troubleshooting efforts however for future reference if you want to run logs from the Patton you can use these commands from the CLI of the unit itself to get a clearer idea of what is going on.

https://www.patton.com/support/kb_art.asp?art=446&
Patton themselves may of sent you a guide.

Thank you! We will swap the switch to test. I agree that Patton is generally solid. We have other models deployed other places and they are great but this one has been giving fits, or so I thought. I will look into the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steffen Ekerdt
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.