PRI-TDM Card/Gateway? ESXi/Hyper-V?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bvah, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bvah

Pretty new to 3CX, but so far I'm loving it. However, I've just hit one heck of a problem, and I know someone here will be able to make sense of it for me.

Currently, we're using an old Nortel system and I convinced my boss to finally upgrade to a 3CX system. Everything was going smoothly. Our service provider (ATT) promised us a SIP handoff at the demarc and from what I could tell 3CX would be able to connect to that handoff just fine and everything would be good.

Just a few minutes ago, I found out that our provider will not be supplying us with a SIP handoff because 3CX is not a "legitimate or approved" IP PBX. Unfortunately, we've already purchased the software and about 35 Yealink phones for the new system.

ATT is will to work with me, however, if I can find a PRI-TDM card for 3CX, they'll eat some of the cost. Here's where it gets a bit sticky: Our 3CX server is running in an ESXi environment. Is it possible to get a PRI card that could be presented to a Guest in VMWare? If it is, what would you guys suggest getting? I'm pretty keen on how VOIP works and goes together, but my mind completely breaks when I try to figure out the gateways/PRI cards/etc.

The other problematic part is Go-Live date for ATT/Kill date for our current provider is in 21 days. At this point, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get this going. If I can't, then I'll be learning Asterisk pretty quickly...(it's on their "approved" list).

Any help anyone can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

edit: It'll be a PRI-TDM with 16 concurrent call routes

2. bruno479

Hi,
    Bero*fix cards are running through VMware ESX/ESXi.
    My configuration is Bero*fix with 4 BRI ISDN, in VMware server with ESXi, and 3CX on one of the virtual servers

You have info on http://www.berofix.com

3. bvah

Thanks for the reply, Bruno.

Unfortunately, I'm in the States, so it doesn't seem like the Bero line is an option. I can't find anywhere that will ship them to the US or any US retailer that carries them.

Right now, I'm looking at the Patton SmartNode 4960. While not a card, it seems to be what I need and bypasses the VMWare hiccup. Am I right in that it will work? Is it a solid device or am I looking to give myself headaches here. I'm looking at it now because it's recommended by 3CX.

Btw, 3CX is awesome. The more I use it, the more I love it. I just wish it were big enough to catch the attention of the major US telecoms. :( One day...

4. comresource

comresource Member

To be honest I would prefer an external gateway over an internal card. If you end up extending your VMWare environment to multiple nodes for failover then the gateway is the way to go. You can move your 3CX instance around with zero downtime.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bruno479

of course. We did it as some-kind of "show case". we are selling those kind of equipment, so i wanted to put everything in one place.

6. innoforce

I have just contacted the support of bero and they told me that this is not possible because ESXi would not support Realtec NICs so I should buy the box. Which version of ESXI are you using 4.0 or 5.0?

Thank you in Advance!

7. kylejoe1

ESXi?

Go Patton. Just put the gateway in your rack, run the dmarc cables into Patton, 3CX virtual machine connects via IP. If you have multiple ESXi hosts (as you should), instant recovery in a vSphere HA environment!

http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/patton-smartnode.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. countrycomp

+1 for Patton. We use them for physical and virtual 3CX servers everywhere. They are solid and reliable. Having the Gateway external makes it much easier to move virtual machines between physical hosts etc.

Dave P.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.