• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Prioritizing Outgoing Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTurnkey

Reaction score
We have 4 lines (connected to Patton SN4114) connected to the 3CX system plus one Skype gateway.

I set an outbound rule for the skype (prefix "0"), but noticed that I haven't figured out how to let users "choose" what line to use when making a call. On our Grandstream phones, I set the line buttons to lines 1-4. What I see when testing them is that no matter what button I use to choose a line, it seems pretty random what line (phone number) it actually calls through.

How can I set this?

PC Turnkey let me start out by first asking you why does it matter what line the calls go out on the Gateway? Also how would a user even know what line is available to choose, as they cannot see what lines on the gateway are being used by another extension.

I'd say the primary reason is that this combines 3 office lines and 1 "private" personal lines. On the personal line, I have it set so that when this number is called, it rings a certain group/extension. The office lines are set to ring to an Admin group that have someone there to answer.
We also would want the number that our admin assistant uses (if available) to be the main number associated with the company.

Last week I had made a call off-site on 3cx for Android. I was disconnected and the other party called me back. Apparently, the line my call used was the private line and so when he rang back, it went to the owner's extension and not to secretary.

I plugged the lines in on the back of the Patton in the order I wanted (priority)- with the last one being the private. I made the rules in 3CX accordingly.

Does this reasoning make sense, or is what I'm wanting to accomplish not possible?

You have to create two trunk groups, one with 3 members and a second with just the other number. In your outgoing rules you can determine how you reach, and who has access to, each

yes exactly as Leejor said you can create those trunk groups and that will solve your problem with outgoing calls. That will enable you to not tie up the private line on those outgoing calls and just use one of the three office lines.

Very good. Thank you.

With those three lines in the "office" trunk, what happens if one goes out (disconnected)? One of the lines will most likely be disconnected in a few weeks. Will the Patton/3CX just know not to try to use it, or might I expect some emails from office workers stating that they can't make outgoing calls (assuming it would still try to use that line when available/randomly)?

If a call cannot go out on that line it will just go to the next line available, you will not have to make any changes once that line is disconnected but you can. I would just because it would bug me knowing that third line is in the trunk group for no reason.

PCTurnkey said:
With those three lines in the "office" trunk, what happens if one goes out (disconnected)? One of the lines will most likely be disconnected in a few weeks. Will the Patton/3CX just know not to try to use it, or might I expect some emails from office workers stating that they can't make outgoing calls (assuming it would still try to use that line when available/randomly)?

This all depends on how the line is disconnected. Most gateways can be set to detect the idle line voltage (or lack thereof) and will determine whether or not the gateway will attempt a call on that line (or even, if it is in use elsewhere).

However, if your provider leaves in all of the jumpers, right back to the line equipment termination, in the central office, and just removes the programming from their switch, there will still be about 48 volts for the gateway to detect. If that is the case the gateway will still attempt to place a call on that line. You would then have to physically disconnect the line from the gateway.

I should also add that some gateways are capable of detecting dial tone, before placing a call. If that option is available, it may be worthwhile ensuring it is enabled.

The Patton can detect for dial tone before making a call.

Are these trunk groups created in the 3CX system or the Patton gateway?

They would have to be created in both 3CX, and, in most gateways. Some gateways allow for the selection of outgoing lines (PSTN lines within the gateway) by use of a prefix, along with the desired number, sent from 3CX.

Thank you. Is there a knowledgebase article you can suggest? I went through the printed manuals I've made from 3CX, but haven't found any specific instructions on this.

Many set-ups, and I'm assuming auto provisioning too, in most cases, probably assume that the entire gateway will be used as a single trunk group. This may mean that you will have to manually, or do a partial, manual provisioning, on the gateway.

I'll see if I can come across anything on the gateway.

Thanks. I've done a little research but can't find anything to walk me through the correct setup either in 3CX or on the Patton gateway.

So, our setup now is that FXO 0,1 are the business lines and need to be on one trunk group so that outgoing calls from the business extensions use one of these lines. FXO 2 is a house line that needs to have the same but on that line with the house extension.

I appreciate input and help in getting this setup. Thanks!

I've looked for info on that model, I haven't used that one myself. From what I can see, there may not be a web configuration page. It looks like everything is configured with a download file. Which means if it can be broken into two separate trunk groups, it is going to require the help of someone that is familiar with the unit and can provide examples of configuration files.

In some gateways, each trunk, can be addressed by the IP address of the gateway and a unique port number. 5060 for trunk 1, 5061 for trunk 2...etc. This is relatively easy to build in 3CX but requires that you are able to set up the matching configuration in the Gateway. The way it is set-up now, there is one IP and one port number, and you've told 3CX that there are four members, which are then created in a configuration file then sent to the gateway.

The gateway could be reconfigured with two members by deleting the current gateway configuration and starting over, but, then you have to be able to tell the gateway that the remaining trunk(s) are to use a different port, that is the part that I can't confirm, can be done.

If it turns out that the gateway cannot be split into multiple trunk groups, you could use the Patton for two trunks, and obtain a single line gateway, such as the SPA-3102, for the single PSTN line.

Hopefully someone with more experience with this gateway, can add their two cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.