Probably a no brainer, and something I should know, but...

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ATS-Support, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATS-Support

Have an install, that's very very simple. Basically has DID's for each extension, and a main number that is pointed to ring group 8000. Ring group 8000's strategy is ring all, 15 seconds, and then connect to a voice-mail if no one answers. All of this works just fine, except if one of the users has their status set to something other than available.

If one of the users goes to away, and say that away forwards calls to their cell number, then when the main number is called, the call gets forwarded to the cell, and does not ring the rest of the phones.

What would cause this?

2. mixig

mixig Active Member

Re: Probably a no brainer, and something I should know, but.

Replicate the issue and take a look in 3cx server activity log

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

My understanding is that individual extension forwarding will generally be ignored when the call comes in via a ring group. Is the extension set-up to "ring my mobile" ? If so, what type of trunk is the call routing out on? VoIP, or a PSTN gateway? If it is a gateway, it is possible that the call is being considered "answered" at that point, as most PSTN gateways cannot pass answer status back to 3CX.

As mixig said, the 3CX log should show exactly what is happening with the call. Keep in mind that it may be necessary to set the log level to verbose, in able to show details of the call.

4. ATS-Support

It IS over a PSTN gateway, a patton smart node 4970. If that's the case, then I might have to dig deeper. I'm pretty sure that all of my other clients that do this are on VoIP...

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You have to keep in mind that any call, passed onto an outside device, whether it be a land line or mobile, must have the answer supervision passed back to 3CX, ideally, when (if) the called party actually answers, to work properly.

VoIP trunks are usually capable of doing this, as are ISDN gateways. When it comes to PSTN, they can work, but there are a lot more "bits" that have to fall into place. The gateway has to support current reversal detection, all options must be in place, and, more importantly, the PSTN provider must provide a current reversal, when the called party answers. Many do not offer this option, or make you must pay extra for this feature, if you even know to order it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.