Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

problem in multiple remote extensions using VPN

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by girish, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. girish

Dear All

i have a 3cx server installed in my office (say headoffice ) and i have two branch offices say branch A and brach B these offices are connected through ipsed vpn

head office to branch A ipsec
    head office to branch B ipsec

after doing above setup phones started registering and ringing eachother the problem is from branch A to branch B or brach B to brach A ring is going on when i pickup no sound.

so i created vpn between branch A and Branch B then call started working properly.

My question is, is there any way to avoid VPN connection between Branch A and Branch B and get all the calls work properly? Please help me if u have some solution.

Rgs
    girish

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I believe that once the connection is set up, the voice path is then directly between the two phones NOT via the 3CX.

3. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello and welcome,
    If you have a good vpn connection (stable and fast bandwidth)
    so you did the best settings
    because vpn solve all ports problems beside its more secure than direct connection

4. girish

Dear All

creating vpn between branch A and Branch B is best practice. but in real life i have so many branch offices (for understanding i gave one head office and two branch offices as example) communicating each other so it is very diff to create VPN between offices. i understood that after picking up call sound packets travell between branch offices, not through server. is there any way to solve this? (sound packets are comming up to server for each call if i don't mistake, bcse server is having feature of recording calls). if some one can help to route all voice through server or some other solution to make this happen without creating somany vpn networks.

Thanks and Rgds
    girish

5. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello,
    any call without pbx deliver audio or call recording is an endpoint to end point call

all you need is net work,ports and firewals settings if you'll not use vpn
    so you can work without vpn but you have to set your netwaork and use adevices makes correct routing

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm trying to understand this myself....So if you set the option in each extension involved as "PBX delivers audio", the voice packets WILL go back to the 3CX and then back out to the destination extension , via VPN if that is being used? This rather than a direct path point to point?

7. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello All,
    Yes it is
    if you use pbx deliver audio or call record
    all traffic pass through the server
    you can test this by your self
    set ext with call record and 2 extensions without call record
    and watch the swith lamps with a call recorded or a call not recorded
    recorded call: you'll see the server lamp active
    not recorded call:you'll find server lamp not active
    in both cases phones lamp active

8. girish

Dear all

Thanks for all of them who replied me to solve this problem, i enabled pbx audio delivery and got the sound working as required for me. (i.c branch A and branch B can talk each other without VPN all audio travells through server) .

Thanks and regards
    girish

9. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Hi girish

I'm glad to know that the issue is fixed, but it will be very interesting to review media server logs (3CXMediaServer.log and 3CXMediaServer.trace.log) for both cases. (for "PBX delivers audio"=on and =off)
    The reason of my request is: I'm not sure that the solution is optimal and it (logs) may provide some useful information for us.

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. mbaltus

Additionally you can set-up routing between the two locations. As described earlier the data-stream will try to go directly (without the 3CX server) if you do not set the option for pbx audio delivery). Branch A and Branch B each have a VPN connection to HQ, but both of them are not aware of each others network nor how to reach them. If you set-up static routes to those networks in the routers of Branch A and B, then the problem is most likely solved as well (assuming that firewalls are not blocking the traffic).

For instance:
    HQ has IP 10.0.10.0/24 (router 10.0.10.1)
    A has IP 10.0.20.0/24 (router 10.0.20.1)
    B has IP 10.0.30.0/24 (router 10.0.30.1)

Assuming that the routers also set-up the VPN's, you can set-up as follows:
    in router A you would add a static route (depending on the router product you require different syntax or methods): ip route add 10.0.30.0 255.255.0.0 10.0.10.1
    in router B you would add a static route (depending on the router product you require different syntax or methods): ip route add 10.0.20.0 255.255.0.0 10.0.10.1

If the router at HQ knows the routes to location A and B, then you are set.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.