Problem installing 3CX VoIP phone on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows' started by sunhill2406, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunhill2406

Hi -

I have installed the 3CX VoIP phone on a laptop running Windows 7, no problem. Now I am trying to install it on a PC running Windows XP (SP 3) and I get the message that I have to close 3CX Phone before installing/uninstalling it. The software has never been installed before on that PC. Anybody got a clue what the problem might be?

Best regards,
    Theo.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

And if you do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and open Task Manager/Processes tab...you don't see anything with 3CX in a file name anywhere?

3. sunhill2406

No, nothing there. Would also be quite surprising, because I'm trying to install it for the first time. I got the impression that the installer certainly has some kind of problem, but gives the wrong message. The question is: what's the real problem?

Theo.

4. cda

cda

I have installed on my Laptop Acer on Windows XP with sp3, it work properly
    Your system Windows XP may have a problem, please reinstall Windows XP, install SP3 and reinstall 3cx IP phone v.5

5. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Theo

I will tell this issue to the people in charge with installer, but it might be related to this old issue, please have a look:
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/application-launch-error-10988.html#p56391

However, I suggest you to do the following trick:
    - since 3CXPhone is completely standalone (installer, basically, only expands its files) you may copy the whole C:\Program Files\3CXphone folder (the one from your Windows 7 machine) somewhere on your Windows XP.

Hope it helps
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. sunhill2406

Hi vali,

thank you very much for your suggestion, your "trick" works!:) I have also copied the Application Data folder, which provides me with the connections and the phone book entries from my Windows 7 laptop. I take it this means I can also add the application to my portable apps USB stick.

Thanks again!
    Theo.

7. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Theo
    Yes, you may install and run it from an USB stick, there is not any problem here, but be careful that the DATA, your data - accounts, phonebook, recordings and so on - will be created and stored on the C:\Documents and Settings\... of the machine on which you port and run the 3CXPhone. Be careful.
    We have in plan to make a small "tuning" in the code to make 3CXPhone a "portable app", but not right now.
    Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. SoLost

Same problem here. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (vcredist_x86.exe), Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable are installed on my computer. This is not s fresh install.
    Initially, I was able to install 3CXPhone5 without problems, but then I wanted to update to 3CXPhone6 because 3CXPhone5 was crashing and taking 80%CPU when on a call. So after I uninstalled 3CXPhone5 I am unable to install 3CXPhone 6 or 5.

As a work around, I tried to copy 3CXPhone6 program files from a vista installation. It does not work well. The program can run but cannot make calls nor register to any sip account.
    I realize 3CXPhone is far from being portable as I found over 50 registry entries on the vista machine (most of them related to codecs). Is it safe to import this Vista keys to a Windows XP SP3 system?

This is quite frustrating. Hoping to see a 3CXPhone version that works on XP.
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.