• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Problem installing 3CX VoIP phone on Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunhill2406

Reaction score
Hi -

I have installed the 3CX VoIP phone on a laptop running Windows 7, no problem. Now I am trying to install it on a PC running Windows XP (SP 3) and I get the message that I have to close 3CX Phone before installing/uninstalling it. The software has never been installed before on that PC. Anybody got a clue what the problem might be?

Best regards,
Theo.

And if you do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and open Task Manager/Processes tab...you don't see anything with 3CX in a file name anywhere?

No, nothing there. Would also be quite surprising, because I'm trying to install it for the first time. I got the impression that the installer certainly has some kind of problem, but gives the wrong message. The question is: what's the real problem?

Theo.

sunhill2406 said:
Hi -

I have installed the 3CX VoIP phone on a laptop running Windows 7, no problem. Now I am trying to install it on a PC running Windows XP (SP 3) and I get the message that I have to close 3CX Phone before installing/uninstalling it. The software has never been installed before on that PC. Anybody got a clue what the problem might be?

Best regards,
Theo.

I have installed on my Laptop Acer on Windows XP with sp3, it work properly
Your system Windows XP may have a problem, please reinstall Windows XP, install SP3 and reinstall 3cx IP phone v.5

sunhill2406 said:
No, nothing there. Would also be quite surprising, because I'm trying to install it for the first time. I got the impression that the installer certainly has some kind of problem, but gives the wrong message. The question is: what's the real problem?

Theo.
Hi Theo

I will tell this issue to the people in charge with installer, but it might be related to this old issue, please have a look:
http://www.3cx.com/forums/application-launch-error-10988.html#p56391

However, I suggest you to do the following trick:
- since 3CXPhone is completely standalone (installer, basically, only expands its files) you may copy the whole C:\Program Files\3CXphone folder (the one from your Windows 7 machine) somewhere on your Windows XP.

Hope it helps
vali

Vali_3CX said:
sunhill2406 said:

Theo.
Hi Theo

I will tell this issue to the people in charge with installer, but it might be related to this old issue, please have a look:
http://www.3cx.com/forums/application-launch-error-10988.html#p56391

However, I suggest you to do the following trick:
- since 3CXPhone is completely standalone (installer, basically, only expands its files) you may copy the whole C:\Program Files\3CXphone folder (the one from your Windows 7 machine) somewhere on your Windows XP.

Hope it helps
vali

Hi vali,

thank you very much for your suggestion, your "trick" works!:) I have also copied the Application Data folder, which provides me with the connections and the phone book entries from my Windows 7 laptop. I take it this means I can also add the application to my portable apps USB stick.

Thanks again!
Theo.

sunhill2406 said:
Hi vali,

thank you very much for your suggestion, your "trick" works!:) I have also copied the Application Data folder, which provides me with the connections and the phone book entries from my Windows 7 laptop. I take it this means I can also add the application to my portable apps USB stick.

Thanks again!
Theo.
Hi Theo
Yes, you may install and run it from an USB stick, there is not any problem here, but be careful that the DATA, your data - accounts, phonebook, recordings and so on - will be created and stored on the C:\Documents and Settings\... of the machine on which you port and run the 3CXPhone. Be careful.
We have in plan to make a small "tuning" in the code to make 3CXPhone a "portable app", but not right now.
Regards
vali

sunhill2406 said:
Hi -
trying to install it on a PC running Windows XP (SP 3) and I get the message that I have to close 3CX Phone before installing/uninstalling it.
Same problem here. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (vcredist_x86.exe), Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable are installed on my computer. This is not s fresh install.
Initially, I was able to install 3CXPhone5 without problems, but then I wanted to update to 3CXPhone6 because 3CXPhone5 was crashing and taking 80%CPU when on a call. So after I uninstalled 3CXPhone5 I am unable to install 3CXPhone 6 or 5.

As a work around, I tried to copy 3CXPhone6 program files from a vista installation. It does not work well. The program can run but cannot make calls nor register to any sip account.
I realize 3CXPhone is far from being portable as I found over 50 registry entries on the vista machine (most of them related to codecs). Is it safe to import this Vista keys to a Windows XP SP3 system?

This is quite frustrating. Hoping to see a 3CXPhone version that works on XP.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.