Problem registering 2nd extension

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by shumes, Jul 5, 2007.

1. shumes

Hi all,

I hope someone can help. I have the 3cx phone system installed on a computer at home. This sits on a WXP machine. I have X-lite 3 softphone installed on that PC and connects to the system on the extension 5200. I tested this with no problems so proceeded to try and install on a 2nd client. This is where I am stuck. I have installed X-lite v3 onto the 2nd PC and when I try and enter the extension details as per the guide I recieve timeout errors. I disabled the firewall on the 2nd client and this made no difference. I am able ping the 1st PC from the 2nd and can view the admin console installed on the 1st PC on the 2nd PC, but cant get the extenstion to register. Please help!!

2. nickybrg

nickybrg Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Phone registration failure

Hi - I have read your problem.
    What type of timeout error are you receiving? There is no good reason why the second extension is not registering except for the following issues I would like to point out:

The Extension number, auth ID and Auth PW should be different from any other extension.

Another reason why the second phone is not registering is because since the Xlite is installed on the first machine, then the firewall of machine 1 does not effect it. But the second extension's softphone will be blocked when trying to reach the PBX on the 1st machine as it is on another computer in your network UNLESS there isn't a rule set up on the 1st machine's firewall enabling it to access the machine.

Therefore you have to make sure that both the machine's firewalls have proper rules set. You specified that you disabled the firewall on the second machine only. Try switching off the firewall on the first machine for test purposes.

If you check all these, your extensions should register with no problems whatsoever.

3. shumes

Thanks for that.

assuming that after the firewall is disabled on both PC's, the 2nd extension works, could you advise as to what ports are needed to be opened so I can enable the firewall after the test?

This is just the windows firewall and a netgear dg834gt modem router, does this need to be set in both places?

4. DaKhalli

DaKhalli New Member

check out my firewall faq, it has a listing with all the default ports used.

http://www.3cx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1697

5. shumes

Yep, disabling the Windows Firewall did the trick!

Thanks for the guide! - I'll configure this tomight and hopefully have no more issues. I have 2 SIP accounts working really well now, I have a sipgate and voipfone number. I have to say this product is great and outside of this issue, I have had no problems configuring the system to just as I want. 1st rate work 3cx!! :D

Working in IT, I deal with compaines and the general public. If OK I would like to recomend this product on my site and provide a link to this website. I just want to make sure that 3CX is OK with me doing this.

Thanks for all your help and to DaKhalli for the guide!