Problem setting up voice mail

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by therafiman, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therafiman

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2012
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have a single extension set up with 3CX Phone System, and have turned on the "enable voice mail" setting for it. The forwarding rules are set to redirect to "send call to my voice mail" when there is no answer. However, instead of allowing the caller to record voice mail, when the phone stops ringing it says "please enter extension number", followed by "please enter personal identification number".

    Is there anything I've missed? I'm sure voice mail was working when I first set it up, and I don't think I changed anything that might have broken it.
     
  2. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

    3CXfoxhallsolutions New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2012
    Messages:
    211
    Likes Received:
    0
    Can you place a call into the voice-mail system from your extension by dialling the VM system extension number (default 999)???

    Would help to know what 3CX version you are running please - & if it is licensed.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. therafiman

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2012
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for your response.

    Yes, I can reach the voice mail system from the extension. I'm running version 10 with service pack 6, using the free license.
     
  4. leejor

    leejor Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2008
    Messages:
    10,368
    Likes Received:
    228
    From the message you are getting, it sounds as if 3CX does not recognize that the call originates from an extension that has voicemail enabled. So I would think that it has something to do with how you have set up call forwarding. The voicemail system probably sees the call as originating from "elsewhere" and invoking security.
     
  5. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

    3CXfoxhallsolutions New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2012
    Messages:
    211
    Likes Received:
    0
    There is nothing here that sounds like it should stop the voice-mail access ... However, if I was hit with something as weird as this, I'd delete the extension and rebuild it!

    Have a look in the top half of the extension set-up page and make sure that your extension ID and username are the same, All 3CX extensions call the same voice-mail access number, so following on from Leejor's thought, the extension is identified & authorised by the voicemail system using the extension's registration details. If that's not consistent, then you may get problems ... but really grasping at straws here!

    If it's not obvious ... Delete & rebuild the extension ...
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. leejor

    leejor Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2008
    Messages:
    10,368
    Likes Received:
    228
    Would you post a log, of a failed call to the extension? Perhaps there is something obvious in there. Is this happening on both outside calls, and internal?
     
  7. therafiman

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2012
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    After playing around with the settings a bit, it turned out the problem was with the inbound rules I had entered, so as leejor suggested it wasn't recognising the origin of the call properly. I got rid of the * wildcard I had prepended to the DDI Name field, and added a * to the start of the DDI number/mask - voice mail is now working properly with both +44 and 0 at the start of the phone number when calling from an external line. :)

    Thanks for your help!

    Edit: I was wrong again, it wasn't the inbound rules at all, those just happened to start working because I shortened the redirect time while testing. As soon as I increased it the problem was back, I could only make it work consistently with a time of 20 seconds or less. I checked the call settings on the handset itself, and the "forward to vmail delay" was set to 20 seconds, which was causing a 302 response before 3CX's redirect kicked in. I set it to 30 seconds and now it's working perfectly.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.