Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Problem Upgrading SSL certificate on 3cx 15.5 on IIS

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by advlaser, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. advlaser

I'm trying to renew my SSL certificate for my 3cx phone system. Using the following guide
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/renewing-ssl-certificate/

I need to replace the cer and key files. When I download my new certificate from go daddy for IIS, I get a crt and a p7b file. Is the p7b (intermediate) file the key file?

After I rename the files and restart the nginx server, I can no longer access my 3cx dashboard. I get the error "WARNINGS.WEB_SERVER_NOT_RESPONDING". But if I check I can see my new certificate is installed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 advlaser, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @advlaser

Please note that in order for the certificate change to be successful you need to provide the nginx server with a crt.pem and a key.pem file. As far as i know p7b cannot contain a key file. If you used IIS to generate the request for the certificate the key never left your machine the request was created from.

3. advlaser

Can you outline the process to renew the SSL. We are not switching machines, just upgrading to a new certificate.
    1. Go to IIS and upgrade certificate for Server like we would for any certificate.
    2. Update binding to new certificate on "Default Web Site"
    3. ??? how do we generate key.pem and crt.pem files ?
    Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If you are not familiar with the process i would recommend going for a 3CX FQDN where the certificates are auto renewed for you. You just need to have a valid maintenance, the rest is handled by us.

5. advlaser

At this point we've already purchased our certificate, so we will use our own.

I did find this document which explains the process. Turns out we need the CSR Key generator. The handling of certificates seems to change with each iteration of 3CX.

https://www.3cx.com/docs/ssl-fqdn-certificate-godaddy/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.