• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Problem when using domain name instead of IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

broesder

Reaction score
Hi,

I asked my service provider to connect one of my domain names to the IP address of my hosted 3cx. When I connect my phone (GXP-2020) by this domain name the phone does register, but when I want to make a call, the phone gives a busy tone with failure code "403 FORBIDDEN".

Does anyone know what my problem can be??

Thanks!!

The log from my server:

15:23:34.920 Call::Terminate [CM503008]: Call(673): Call is terminated
15:23:34.920 CallCtrl::eek:nIncomingCall [CM502001]: Source info: From: 673; To: "Kantoor"[sip:[email protected];user=phone];tag=6ffac5cb7dfa314b[sip:[email protected];user=phone]
15:23:34.920 CallCtrl::eek:nIncomingCall [CM503013]: Call(673): Incoming call rejected, caller is unknown; msg=SipReq: INVITE [email protected] tid=295a6d6a627deccf cseq=INVITE [email protected]:24070 / 38830 from(wire)
15:23:34.748 evt::CheckIfAuthIsRequired::not_handled [CM500002]: Unidentified incoming call. Review INVITE and adjust source identification:
INVITE sip:[email protected];user=phone SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 92.66.80.82:24070;branch=z9hG4bKb88cfba85552257e
Max-Forwards: 70
Contact: [sip:[email protected]:24070;transport=udp;user=phone]
To: [sip:[email protected];user=phone]
From: "Kantoor"[sip:[email protected];user=phone];tag=6ffac5cb7dfa314b
Call-ID: [email protected]
CSeq: 38829 INVITE
Allow: INVITE, ACK, CANCEL, BYE, NOTIFY, REFER, OPTIONS, INFO, SUBSCRIBE, UPDATE, PRACK, MESSAGE
Supported: replaces, timer, path
User-Agent: Grandstream GXP2020 1.1.6.44
Content-Length: 0

15:23:34.748 evt::CheckIfAuthIsRequired::not_handled [CM302001]: Authorization system can not identify source of: SipReq: INVITE [email protected] tid=b88cfba85552257e cseq=INVITE [email protected]:24070 / 38829 from(wire)

Your problem is probably due to the fact your phone is inside the same network with the 3CX server, and so when the phone looks up the DNS name it gets the external address of the firewall, and hence the phone tries to connect to that, and most firewall providers don't allow a route between the inside to the outside IP address of the router and then back in via the NAT ports.

The solution for you is to use "split DNS" which is basically running a DNS server internally as well (e.g. a SBS server or likewise) into which you replicate all the internal services which are referenced from the internet, but reference them by their LAN IP address. If you then run the LAN DNS server with forwarding, it should mean that any address looked-up either from the inside or the outside of your network should give you the relevant IP address (of the server or the firewall respectively), and hence work seamlessly.

Hope that helps.
Mike.

Thanks for the fast reply!

But no, the 3cx is not in the same network, it is a hosted server somewhere in the country.

Johan.

DNS is purely a name-to-IP-address mapping, and all lookups are done as-needed (although the device may contain a small DNS cache).

Do your handsets work when referenced purely on an IP address basis then?

(as this might explain an issue i've been having with remote handsets too)

Hi,

With the IP address in the SIP server and Proxy server field everything works fine. As soon as I change those into my domain name, the phone registers, the BLF lamps are working, but I can't make calls.

Regards, Johan.

broesder said:
Hi,

With the IP address in the SIP server and Proxy server field everything works fine. As soon as I change those into my domain name, the phone registers, the BLF lamps are working, but I can't make calls.

Regards, Johan.

One thing to test is the DNS server configured into your phone? as your phone will not be able to resolve the address without one.

Cheers,
Mike.

Hi, im having the same problem here, when we use IP address instead of DNS name when identifying the SIP server for 3cx, everything is ok. Buti when we use DNS name instead of IP add, we cant make calls. Please take note that we are using a split-dns infrastructure. Meaning whether 3cx is access outside or inside, it is resolved properly. I’m sure dns is properly resolved to the correct ip – but why it doesn't work ?

The issue is internal testing does not allow calls, registrations succeeds on some device but fails on the 3cx voip client.. Please help me.. Thanks

Arvine, it appears to be a 3CX "peculiarity". You'd think they'd use the normal GetHostByName function, but apparently not.

Hi broesder, Hi arvine,

I faced similar issues. Not sure what the "correct" way is, but the following worked for me.

On 3CX, goto Setting > Advanced > Settings for Direct SIP calls and add your domain name to field "Local SIP Domain". Hopefully the domain used externally is the same used internally on the LAN on which the 3cx is running. If so, that should work. (I have this working on a recent version 7 instalation).

If an internal domain name exists and is in use on LAN which is different from the external domain name in use on Internet, then it gets trickier. I have this working on a Version 6 instalation of 3cx. Here is what I did. (On version 6, the menu structure is very slightly different but same result) ...
(1) Goto General Settings > Settings for direct SIP calls
(2) put the external domain name in the "local sip domain" field
(3) turn on "Allow calls to local SIP uris"

Now the tricky part. I use SPA942 handsets. So the terminology maybe slightly SPA specific here. Not sure how it translates to the Grandstream world :
(1) (SIP) Proxy is set to the external domain name
(2) Outbound Proxy is set to the internal domain name
(3) and finally "Use outbound Proxy" is set to YES.

When all this is done, the handset works fine for me using the DNS names instead of the IP address.

There is a little written here that maybe useful :
http://www.3cx.com/support/sip-domain.html

Regards,
Andrew (thenua)

thanks.. that solved our internal testing problem..

Well I am new in VOIP world, so I am trying to learn how to use this system. Through this forum I am learning a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boykins_54
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.