• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Problem with incoming SIP calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiscardGP

Customer
Basic Certified
Reaction score
We appear to have a found an issue with incoming SIP calls to our 3CX PBX.

If we connect an incoming SIP calls to our digital receptionist (in 3CX), the calls are handled appropriately. This results in calls then being forwarded to either a hunt group, or ring all group, after callers select an option.

We found it was taking 20-30 seconds for our callers to use the digital receptionist and then get put through to a call handler. To save time we therefore decided to put incoming calls directly through to the same groups (i.e. omitting the digital receptionist). Unfortunately, when we do this the incoming calls are not precessed correctly. In the hunt group after trying the first two phones, it restarts back at the beginning of the sequence rather than continuing to the end. With the ring all group they all ring for approximately 18 seconds then the call appears to be dropped then reconnects again.

If we make an incoming call directly to the same group using our VOIPtalk telephone number (i.e. land line number) , the calls are handled correctly and are not dropped after 18 seconds. It therefore appears to be a problem arising only with incoming SIP calls.

I have attached a copy of a call log taken while this problem was occurring on 22/9/11.

The incoming call at 13.09.46.200 was an incoming sip call during which the hunt group did not work as configured.

The incoming call at 13.13.39.429 was made direct to VOIPTalk landline number and followed the hunt group correctly.

The settings on our 3CX system remained the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions what may be happening? Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

• Log 220911 1310.txt
    37.2 KB · Views: 46
Hi and welcome to the forum,

LiscardGP said:
With the ring all group they all ring for approximately 18 seconds then the call appears to be dropped then reconnects again.
Does anyone have any suggestions what may be happening?

There are 8 calls in the log.
All of them has the same scenario:
Caller initiates call then waits for ~20 seconds then terminates it. After some time he does it again.

I think that it explains situation

Regards

Hi Stepan

Thank you for replying to my enquire.

My calls are forwarded to my SIP address through a company called "The Telephone Number Company". Web site TTNC.co.uk.

They hold calls in a que, forwarding a maximum of two at a time. They have said they are not getting any error messages in their system. There reply was:

These calls are not failing on our equipment. We are receiving normal clearing responses for all your calls, so one of the users, or one of the users providers is hanging up the call. I'm not sure who's side is failing with the call, but we are not dropping the call or encountering any errors during out part of the call negotiation.

My 3CX PBX is connected to VOIPTalk. Do you think the problem therefore lies with VOIPTalk? I am still puzzled by the fact that calls connected through the digital receptionist work without a hitch.

Thanks

LiscardGP said:
Hi Stepan

Thank you for replying to my enquire.

My calls are forwarded to my SIP address through a company called "The Telephone Number Company". Web site TTNC.co.uk.

They hold calls in a que, forwarding a maximum of two at a time. They have said they are not getting any error messages in their system. There reply was:

These calls are not failing on our equipment. We are receiving normal clearing responses for all your calls, so one of the users, or one of the users providers is hanging up the call. I'm not sure who's side is failing with the call, but we are not dropping the call or encountering any errors during out part of the call negotiation.

My 3CX PBX is connected to VOIPTalk. Do you think the problem therefore lies with VOIPTalk? I am still puzzled by the fact that calls connected through the digital receptionist work without a hitch.

Thanks

You should notice, that the call which is coming through the route:
Caller->VoipTalk->3CXPhoneSystem
is working properly. Neither VoipTalk nor 3CXPhoneSystem does not reject incoming call if caller waits for the answer.
You already proof it in your initial post:
LiscardGP said:
The incoming call at 13.13.39.429 was made direct to VOIPTalk landline number and followed the hunt group correctly.

Those calls, that I mentioned in my previous post, were processed by TTNC. (it is visible in the log)
So, the TTNC was between Caller and VoipTalk:
Caller->TTNC->VoipTalk->3CXPhoneSystem
Do you have any idea who cancelled them?
Was it the Caller? Was it TTNC?

Thanks

TTNC have provided us with a normal land line number (I.E. 0151 321 ****). They then forward the call to our sip address with VOIPTalk. I like this arrangement as they can hold calls in a que until a line is available, and play a greeting message.

I was making the telephone call to the number provided by TTNC, from a land line. The problem occurs with every call forwarded via sip address to the ring group, but not when calls are forwarded to the digital receptionist. :?: The caller (me) is unaware that the calls are being dropped, and reconnected, as they listen to music provided by TTNC. Once the call handler picks up handset they are connected OK. The problem is I cannot find out where, or why, calls are cancelled and I am puzzled because the caller is not disconnected when this occurs. That's why, along with the fact the digital receptionist works ok, I though 3CX might be configured incorrectly.

As you have recognised the only other bit of information is that is if I ring the same account using the telephone number provided by VOIPTalk (i.e. 0151 438 ****) then the ring group handles calls correctly. All very strange. Could it be something to do with the forwarded call from TTNC arriving at my sip address, rather than VPOIPTalk land line number, and that VOIPTalk are handling the call differently as TTNC say they are not dropping any calls (See above)? But then why, if this is the case, would call handling be ok with the digital receptionist. :S

Thanks again for your interest.

I have just had the following reply from VOIPTalk support.

If it helps, I am using Cisco 7941 phones converted to SIP.

Please remember that calls arriving by exactly the same route, but handed first to the digital receptionist, which then forward call to the same ring group, work fine

Caller :arrow: ttnc :arrow: voiptalk :arrow: digital receptionist :arrow: ring group :D
Caller :arrow: ttnc :arrow: voiptalk :arrow: ring group :cry:

Thanks again

Attachments

• VOIPTalk Response 300911.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 38
LiscardGP said:
I was making the telephone call to the number provided by TTNC, from a land line. The problem occurs with every call forwarded via sip address to the ring group

It explains everything. (see my previous comments)
Conclusion:
You need to ask TTNC to provide you service in following form:
(1) TTNC should not cancel the "ringing" call (which is addressed to your line) in case if it is not answered in 20 seconds
(2) TTNC should not repeat the call if it is explicitly rejected (TTNC must not cancel "ringing" call as specified in (1) and wait for the final reponse from your line)

Simple, isn't it?

If you have any questions regarding functionality of 3CXPhoneSystem or you have suspicions that 3CXPhoneSystem does not handle calls properly then, please, don't hesitate to contact 3CX support team.

Regards

Thank you for your help Stepan.

I will pass your advice to TTNC.

Excellent support.

Hi

I have passed on the information to TTNC. They attempted to make the changes which were recommended but unfortunately the problem persists. They have now made following suggestions:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have two solutions for you here.

Firstly - you will need to get your SIP provider to pre answer any call we forward to them, so they can manage the call 'properly' otherwise, as the call is unanswered, we are still managing the call, and therefor retrying the destinations within your queuing system (this is standard behaviour).

Secondly - we remove your queuing system from our switches and forward directly to the SIP provider.

We never recommend combining services between providers and it can become very hard to manage for yourself, and as we can see from this instance, very difficult to set up properly. Essentially, we recommend that you use one provider to manage the call. If you want to utilised our advanced Intelligent Network services you should look at a solution using solely us, alternatively do the same with your SIP provider, and we will purely act as a forwarding service to them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has occurred to me that if it is possible to forward calls directly from TTNC to my 3CX PBX then the problem may be solved. Is it possible to forward calls from TTNC directly to a 3CX PBX, removing VOIP Provider from the route, and might it solve my problem? I have a static IP and am familiar with Domain records. Clearly I would still need VOIP provider for outgoing calls.

By the way, I am still puzzled as to why the calls do not drop when they are first routed through the digital receptionist.

Thanks again

LiscardGP said:
By the way, I am still puzzled as to why the calls do not drop when they are first routed through the digital receptionist.
No puzzle. it because digital receptionist does what TTNC wants:
...pre answer any call we forward to them....

Thanks Stephan

I was reading about Direct SIP. Could I forward the calls from TTNC directly to my SIP PBX.

Thanks Again for you help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.