Problem with mis-dialed numbers

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by shing, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shing

Hi,

We are running 3CX v11 with SIP trunks from Allstream, here in Canada. Allstream has separate media and signalling IPs and does not require registration to connect to their trunks. Nearly everything works fine incoming and outgoing with the exception of media that is played when a number has been mis-dialed.

For example, if we accidentally dialed a number that is supposed to be a long distance number we would typically hear a voice prompts (from the provider) that says that this is supposed to be a long distance call. Or if we dialed a number that is not in service we are suppose to get a voice prompt that says that the number is not in service. Instead, we only get ringing until it errors out.

Connection to a patton analog gateway, we hear all the appropriate prompts when we mis-dial. We have tried this with 3CX v9 and had the same issue.

2. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

3CXfoxhallsolutions New Member

Sounds a bit like a firewall issue ... If the prompts are hitting your 3CX as unsolicited comm's (i.e. the 3CX is not asking for the prompt), and it's coming from a different public IP source, then I'd expect the firewall to say - "NO" - and prevent that from entering your system. Maybe you just need to build a firewall rule to open ports for the public IP that sends the media ...???

Best regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. shing

I did a wireshark capture, which I will post when I get a chance. Even with the firewall the sip packet for the early media was coming in but 3CX just didn't respond to it. Just in case, I have 3CX connected directly to the internet now but it is locked down to only accept traffic from to and from the provider and I still have the same issue.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So you are receiving a 180 RINGING message after you send digits (at which time audio should be cut through), for both completed (answered) calls and for calls going to a recording (non-billable)?

I'm wondering if, because the "invalid" calls are not to be "flagged" at a PBX (for most customers) as an answered call, that they handle each in a different manner.

5. shing

I was going through my wireshark captures and did notice something. Allstream supports G.729 but not G.711 or G.722. I was seeing a lot of chatter using G.711 to Allstream so I restricted the connection to only G.729. It's working a little better now. When I dial an invalid number I now get a fast busy but I still don't get the message from the provider as to why the call failed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.