Problem with MPLS Connectivity on v15.5

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Gazza1410, Oct 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gazza1410

Currently we are using v12.5 and awaiting upgrade to v15.5. We have multiple sites connected via a conventional MPLS network. Our original service provider, Star Networks (now Claranet) delivered our SIP trunks via a tortuous route of SIP to our endpoint router(Cisco) WIC ISDN card to Patton Gateway and then to our Server. This was dreamt up by Star as their SIP provider (HipCom) didnt support the 3CX platform. As Claranet are retiring their HipCom connections, we agreed to move to BT SIP which does support 3CX, but we cant get connectivity to the published BT IP address. To test connectivity they gave us some dummy numbers which we set up on a new server which has the latest version 15.5 installed. 3CX installed without any problems and did the FDQN registration and picked up our public IP etc.
    Claranet claim they are delivering the SIP to our router via an Etherway circuit (their word for a VLAN, I think), but when I do an outbound trace route to the BT IP I see it routing via the MPLS and out to the internet breakout at the local switching centre.
    Has anyone got a similar setup and any pointers to the correct setup?
    Hopefully someone has had same problem
    Cheers
    Fitz

2. Sopock

Sopock Member

Until we get better understanding of your service:

According to Claranet, cloud services are only as reliable and secure as the network down which they are delivered, and by throwing their VoIP services out to the public internet, many businesses are unnecessarily risking their ability to communicate effectively.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

From what I understand you need to add routes to the system to not use your default MPLS gateway but send the traffic directly to you WAN facing gateway which correspond with the IP address of the install in 3CX. IN order to do this, you need more then just the BT SIP IP but also all RTP ports and configure the NAT on your local firewall.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Gazza1410

Hi Stefan
    Sorry for delay in reply to your response but have been on holiday. The problem seems to be that Claranet who provide our MPLS network service have a direct connect with BT which means that traffic does not go out to the internet. The new install of v15.5 picks up one of our public IP address automatically. We obvious need an internet connection, not only for licensing, but for several users who connect via SBC using the tunnel. It appears that 3CX is attempting to use the pubic IP to connect to BT rather than than the vlan provided from the interconnect to our MPLS router. I cannot see any way of routing the traffic to the interconnect rather than the public IP and thence to the BT IP address in the BT template for setting up the SIP trunk. I am sure that we cant be the only user who is not using a directly connected internet SIP trunk delivery?
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as we are rapidly approaching the porting date.
    Cheers
    Gary Fitz

5. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

So this is a network problem, not a 3CX problem. Once you can trace to the BT address via the MPLS/VLAN and not over the public internet, 3CX will work. You want to talk to Claranet or someone who manages your network infrastructure and understands routing.

6. Gazza1410

Hi
    Solved the connectivity problem with BT - they had provided the incorrect address for their SBC. Problem now is that we have no speech path on calls. Signalling ok and connecting to destination but no speech. BT did a probe on test call and quote as follows :

"I’d like to particularly point out that in the trace :

In line 6 the 200 OK it states ; SDP IP: 89.206.248.130

In line 9 RTP is set up from Claranet with Media Source IP = 192.168.16.140

In line 11 the BT SBC sends RTP to Media Destination IP = 89.206.248.130

So basically at the Claranet end the Media is reaching us from one IP address, but they are telling us to send media to a different IP address".

The 192.168.16.140 is the IP of the 3CX server, but the 89.206.x.x address is one of our public IP.
    It seems like the SIP headers must be picking up the public IP rather than the LAN address (see earlier post for config details)
    I havent got a clue where to change the config on 3CX to substitute the server address for the public address.
    Nor have BT for that matter, they just emailed me and asked for any contacts at 3CX ????????
    Any pointers appreciated.
    Cheers
    Gary

7. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

On the Options tab of the trunk there is a section to select which IP to use in the contact and connection fields.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.