Problem with remote extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by gary2seven, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gary2seven

We have had ongoing issues with trying to get remote extensions working.

We recently upgraded our router to a Cisco Small Business Pro so that we could guarantee ports correctly configured. I have now set up 3 remote extensions using the 3CX VOIP phone to avoid any hardware issues.

I can get all three working "in the office" both with and without the 3CX tunnel.

On remote sites I can get all 3 working WITH the 3CX Tunnel, but none working without it. This is 3 different laptops at 3 different remote sites with 3 different ISP's and 3 different routers.

I don't want to use 3CX tunnel as my eventual aim is to use 3CX iPhone and Android apps. I have tried the iPhone app and it works in the office but not at remore locations.

I have used the firewall checker on the 3CX phone system and everything passes, I have disabled (temporarily) the Cisco Router firewall to eliminate firewall issues.

I have ports 5060, 5080, 5090 and 9000-9049 forwarded on the Cisco router to the PBX device.

The debug window on the 3CX VoipPhone, just says

Sending STUN request
    Connection to Server failed.

What else can I check, or how can I trace the issue further?

Gary.

2. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi,

First off what is the exit code of the firewall checker?

Also its is complex to say why it is not getting trough as expected. This is why tunnel is used. You said you rmeoved the firewall to see if that helped.. did it ?

If you are really stuck, you could create a VPN connection to your server from your phone and connect as if using the tunnel.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gary2seven

Firewall checker results are;

Disabling the firewall did not help.

I know you can configure VPN from router to router and pc to router, can you configure VPN from an iPhone or Android phone to router?

Gary.

4. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi,

Yes you can configure the iphone and the android over VPN it works quite nicely actually.

Your firewall checker is failing, it seems like you did not do your port forwarding correctly. Please ensure you do not have windows firewall running on the machine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. gary2seven

Can you tell from the checker which port is the issue? The Cisco router notes on 3CX.Com are out of date and don't match my interface.

Regards

Gary.

6. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Did you disable the Windows firewall on the 3CX system? The ports do not always open correctly. If you have wireshark, also watch to see if packets are making it to the box and are not getting stopped at the firewall. Generally it is a firewall issue though and hopefully the Andoid and iPhone 3CXPhone versions will have the Tunnel included which will solve a lot of these issues.

7. gary2seven

I have firewall disabled, I don't have wireshark on there at the moment, but I will install it now.

The last I heard 3CX Tunnel was "planned" for Android app, but "might not even work" and not planned yet for iPhone. Do you know different? Hate to kill myself sorting out only for update with 3CX tunnel to arrive as a Christmas prezzie :)

Gary.

8. gary2seven

I have been working with the network guys all day and firewall checker now passes all ok (see below) exit code 0.

But my 3CX Phone for Windows and my 3CX iPhone app still can't connect.

The 3CX phone debug windows just says "STUN check failed"

What can I do now?

Gary.

9. henington

was there any resolution to this issue? I also am trying to get a remote extension setup without the 3cx tunnel.

10. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

It is usually a firewall issue and full cone NAT seems to work best. There si NO NEED to FWD any port on the router at the remote site. Depending on the phone there are changes needed in the config of the phone itself but make sure that STUN is enabled to start. If you tell us what type of phones you will be using we can help you further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.