• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Problem with ring groups, please advise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

efounco

Reaction score
OK, sorry for all the questions as of late. I'm custom tailoring a new 3CX build for our small company. I have ~2 weeks before this build goes live, so I need to work out/around all the bugs and limitations of 3CX. Sadly, I'm running into TONS of limitations and issues that I didn't see before I made my purchase.

Here's a glitch I ran across today with ring groups:

Scenario: All incoming calls are sent to an "incoming ring group". The operator is part of this group and answers a call when it rings. Then, she blind transfers the call to a sales person. The sales person isn't at their desk but has his extension setup to ring for 40 seconds and then transfer the call back into the "incoming ring group". Despite being part of this group, the operator's phone will not ring.

This happens with any extension that initiates the transfer. If the call goes unanswered and is transferred back into a ring group, the person that initiated the transfer will never hear their phone ring if they are part of that group.

Obviously I'm trying to work around a feature that should be present. There should be an option to return the call to the sender if unanswered for xx amount of seconds.

If you don't come up with another solution...what you might try, if the operator set has any spare extension keys...

Give the operator a second number, on a key that is also a part of the ring group. If a call goes back to the ring group it should ring on that key as the call was not originally transferred from it. Of course it would also ring when she initially transfers a call to the group, but she would know to ignore it at that point.

I have ~2 weeks before this build goes live, so I need to work out/around all the bugs and limitations of 3CX. Sadly, I'm running into TONS of limitations and issues that I didn't see before I made my purchase.

I have no idea why you have started with the quoted sentence (I appreciate your overstatement, but "TONS" and "two" have a BIG difference)
Answer to your question:
it is not related to the ring groups and/or the functionality of PBX. It is the classical problem of the "routing loop" (more generic definition is "endless loop"). The straight solution for this call scenario is to use "attended transfer".

You can use queue. It resolves problems of ACD emulation which is implemented using routing loops (obviously, it is present in your setup)

Regards

SY said:
I have ~2 weeks before this build goes live, so I need to work out/around all the bugs and limitations of 3CX. Sadly, I'm running into TONS of limitations and issues that I didn't see before I made my purchase.

I have no idea why you have started with the quoted sentence (I appreciate your overstatement, but "TONS" and "two" have a BIG difference)
Answer to your question:
it is not related to the ring groups and/or the functionality of PBX. It is the classical problem of the "routing loop" (more generic definition is "endless loop"). The straight solution for this call scenario is to use "attended transfer".

You can use queue. It resolves problems of ACD emulation which is implemented using routing loops (obviously, it is present in your setup)

Regards

Technically, it was the 3rd and 4th sentence of the first paragraph; not the 1st. However, you DID bring more attention to it by quoting it. :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you or anyone at 3CX by saying that there are TONS of issues with 3CX specifically; my sentences were ill constructed and not really intended towards 3CX. I'm just trying to custom tailor a VOIP system (for the first time) to work with our business model and there are "TONS" of issues and limitations with VOIP that I never had with our old PBX. But I digress, the PBX is dying and it’s time to move on.

To date, I've only posted about 3 issues on the forums, but rest assured there are MANY more. See, our company is more “customer service oriented” than most businesses, so our CEO doesn't like us using queues or IVRs AT ALL. I'm barely touching the capabilities of 3CX when it comes to features, but because I'm trying to use it differently than most, I'm also running into a bit of resistance.

Right now, my work around for the "endless loop" option is to use a custom tailored IVR that lets the caller know that the user is busy and gives them an option to transfer to voice mail by pressing a button or forwards the call back into the ring group if they don't select an option in xx amount of seconds. I have no idea if the CEO will buy this, but he doesn’t have a choice really... :)

Anyways, I appreciate everyone's help and comments and will try to help out whenever possible.

Set custom parameter ALLOWUSEBUSYOPTFORGROUP to 1
Tick "I want to be able to accept more then 1 call at the same time - uses Phone Status" (Forwarding Profiles/Available page) for the extensions which are used by agents.
Don't forward unanswered calls from agent's extension directly to the ring group (use DR as intermediate hop).
Try to use "Shared Parking Place" feature.
Use attended transfer if you need to control result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.