Problems getting a HandyTone 496 to register.

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by housefire, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. housefire

I just setup a 3cx server.

I can register fine from the sipPhone app on my iphone, however I cant get the same or different accounts to register from my GrandStream handytone 496 device. Ive tried setting both fx port 1 and fxs port 2 to different extensions.

My status screen displays as:

MAC Address: 00.0B.82.12.43.EE
    WAN IP Address: 192.168.2.159
    Product Model: HT496
    Software Version: Program-- 1.0.3.64 Bootloader-- 1.1.0.1 HTML-- 1.0.3.64 VOC-- 1.0.0.13
    System Up Time: 0 day(s) 1 hour(s) 1 minute(s)
    FXS2 Account: No
    PPPoE Link Up: disabled
    NAT: detected NAT type is open Internet

I followed the settings in the article: http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/Grandstream-HandyTone386.html as it was the closest I could find to a 496.

Any ideas where I might be going wrong?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've found Grandstream to be very finicky. I have three of them, different models, and several times, I know the settings are correct but they will refuse to register. The 3CX logs shows that the authentication failed, like the password is incorrect, which it isn't. The problem is that the password isn't visible, nor is a line of dots or asterisks just to show you that there is in fact something in there. What do you see on the 3CX logs when yours tries to register?

3. housefire

3cx logs doesnt show any attempt to even try to connect. Its like it isnt even trying.

Any way to see a log for the handytone or to force it to try and register?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I believe there is a section to set up a link to enable, syslog. Have never used it with the Grandsteam devices. You can download a demo to use with this from these guys...http://www.kiwisyslog.com/

There are probably a number of freeware versions out there too. Unfortunately, even a syslog won't show what password is being sent. Are you using it with a fixed IP? All the IP info is in correct. I've see a comma in place of a period cause no end of frustration.

5. housefire

wow, so I figured it out.

....turns out I messed up a number on the subnet for the grandstream device.

....horrible screw up on my part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.