Problems Loading 3CX to Cisco 79xx IP phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dougclark, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougclark

Hi there. I'm completely new to this software but am evaluating it as a solution for a friends small office environment.

I have a Cisco 7962 IP phone currently running SCCP firmware. From what i've read so far I understand that I can update the firmware on these phones to 3CX SIP firmware and have found the instructions to do so, but i seem to be missing something.

I am running the 3CX software on a Windows 8 platform, as I am evaluating it and dont have a Win 2008R2 platform to hand that it will finally be used on. I am using Solarwinds TFTP server, and have pointed the TFTP directory to the provisioning directory of the Cisco phone extention i created in the management console. I also downloaded the Cisco firmware from the 3CX site and extracted it to this directory.

I am not running a DHCP server (windows 8) so can't configure option 66, but have manually set the TFTP server on the phone to point to the computer running 3CX server. I have windows firewall disabled.

When I boot the Cisco phone it attempts to download firmware (as i can see traffic on the TFTP server console) but it is failing saying that it cannot find these files;

XMLDefault.cnf.xml
    SEP0026CB3D28F8.cnf.xml
    CTLSEP0026CB3D28F8.tlv

These look like the initial Cisco boot files. Can you tell me where I should get these from, or how I can generate them.

Many Thanks

2. pj3cx

pj3cx Active Member

Hi there,
    Unfortunately the Cisco 7962 is not supported by 3CX, the firmware files that can be found in the provisioning article http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/cisco-7940g-7960g/ are for 7940/7941/7960/7961 only. This has not been tested on further models so we cannot guarantee it will work, furthermore our template files are also valid only for the said models.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dougclark

I appreciate that the 7962 isn't directly supported, but I would imagine that the .xml and .tlv files for the phone is, (the SEP files associated with the phone's mac address), should still be generated by the provisioning of a phone. Or have I got it wrong.

4. pj3cx

pj3cx Active Member

This depends, only manufacturer can confirm if syntax of those files is same as with the others models.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dougclark

Very true, but I would expect a 7960 to request similar files but they don't seem to be there. From my experience with Cisco phone firmware changes in CME it expects those files to define the firmware files it should be using and download as necessary.

6. dougclark

I have tried to provision a 7960 phone as well now and I am getting the same problem, in that whilst the system is generating a SEP<MAC-ADDRESS>.cnf files rather than the SEP<MAC-ADDRESS>..cnf.xml and no CTLSEP<MAC_ADDRESS>.tvl files so the phone cannot perform the firware update.

What's missing here?

7. pj3cx

pj3cx Active Member

Nothing is missing, it is normal that some files download attempt will fail, because not all files are required for the phone configuration.
    You must just ensure to have unzipped the cisco firmware file from article in provisioning folder, and be running the latest templates available for these models.

8. dougclark

I copies the files from the link on the Cisco 79xx provisioning page, but the phone will still not boot successfully.

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I have "played around" a bit with both a 7960 and 7961. The 7960 uses a .cnf file and the 7961 uses a .cnf.xml file, so very different for both models. Later models also appear to use only the .xml file type.

Once you have created a "generic" file MACaddress.cnf, or MACaddress.cnf.xml then you can edit it manually.

Even though this site "deals' with a different PBX, there is a lot of very helpful information in understanding what is going on.
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+cisco+79xx

I found that just to get a couple of phones "upgraded " to SIP required multiple factory resets.

Some other helpful info..

http://testlab.inin.com/compatibilityfiles_external/documents/Cisco%207940%20and%207960%20IP%20Phones.pdf

10. dougclark

Thanks cor the information, I'll look into it. I know from using.call manager changing fireware was less than straightforward!

11. dougclark

I've had a look at the sites and they are very useful thanks, they've helped me create the files that seemed to be missing. However after doing a factory reset on the phone it's getting an IP address and then tries to TFTP term62.default.loads (which i haven't got a copy of) first then stops.

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are using a 7962 then you may very well have to track down the SIP firmware file (I'm assuming it hasn't already been converted?) that the phone is requesting. Try doing a search on that file name. You may also have to do some searches for more detailed information specific to that model. I'm assuming, but may be incorrect, that it is very similar to the 7961.

13. dougclark

Thanks. It's been a while since i've played with these phones to be honest and i've lost a lot of the firmware files that i used to have for 79xx phones. I seem to remember that the term62.default.loads file was pretty generic across the range of phones. I'll get to the bottom of it sooner or later!

14. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've only been trying these out for a few months. I began getting very frustrated after the first while and had to just put them down and "walk away" for a while. I did some research into them in the meantime and have managed to get several working, with the basics and even re-written some of the files to customize the sets a bit. To be honest, given a choice, I still prefer the Cisco SPA-942s that I use, just because they can be configured through a menu, so changes can be done on the fly as needed, and, the fact the the display lights up, which I've found to be rather important at times. They also allow individual dialplans, along with other options, for each line key rather than the entire set, which is great if some keys are registered with other providers or PBXs.

As time allows,or the need arises, I will get back to the Cisco 79XX sets.

15. dougclark

Have to say I used the 7962G as it's what I had sitting around,and what I had been using in a previous life with a CUCM system, which made provisioning a bit simpler (sort of as nothing is simple with Cisco) and you could recover things when it went Pete Tong.

At the moment I have a phone that's been factory reset and doesn't know what it is! I need to find my old CME files and stick them on a Cisco router so I can recover it.

I'll have a lok at the phone you mentioned, i assume that it's less stressful to get onto 3CX?

16. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

One of the problems with the model I mentioned, is that it has been discontinued, which might mean that that you can find them a t a good price (probably used). if you've ever manually configured any of the Sipura/Linksys ATAs, then this phone is a snap. Found one at a flea market in Milan this summer for 5 Euros, and after a reset, it works just fine. No POE but uses a standard 5 volt power supply.

the advantage of the Cisco 79XX series is that they are plentiful and many companies are currently using them, so no big expense to replace all the phones. They are also built like a tank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.