Problems placing a call from Outlook

Discussion in 'Windows' started by blainedh, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blainedh

When I place a call using outlook (Desk Phone Mode), my phone rings, I answer and it puts me on hold while it connects with the person I dialed using outlook. When the person picks up, the call is automatically taken off hold and transferred back to me. When I try to spealk with the person who answered,they can hear me but I cannot hear them. Has anyone had a similar problem, or can you tell me whats wrong with my system?

2. darrellchapman

And this only happens with Outlook dialed calls?

Darrell Chapman

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Resolve

I was wondering that. sounds like a firewall prob to me

Tim

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. blainedh

Yes,

This problem only occurs when I am dialing from outlook.

5. Resolve

Can you tell me what sort of phones you are using ? I'm expereinceing all sorts of weirdness with Linksys 941/942 at the moment.

The other thing I''ve noticed is that you've got to have VM configured (even if you don't use it) and a PIN set in the Voip client, otherwise Outlook calling fails.

Tim

6. darrellchapman

blainedh,

Can you break the problem down a little more for us please?

1) The problem only exists when trying to dial from Outlook correct?
    2) Do you still have the problem in "Headset" mode using Outlook to dial calls?
    3) Calls placed directly from your desk phone have no problem correct?
    4) Outlook is using the 3CX TAPI Client correct?

Please advise,
    Darrell Chapman

7. blainedh

1) yes, the problem only occurs when dialing from outlook
    2) No, the problem does not occur when I use the headset option
    3) Call placed from my desk phone work fine (I use a polycom 501)
    4) Yes, outlook is using the 3cx tapi client.

thanks for any comments

Blaine

8. darrellchapman

Do you happen to have another desk phone you can try? That would at least isolate the problem to either a problem with the phone or the 3CX server. I seriously doubt that the problem is the client since its doing everything its supposed to do (telling the server to initiate the call).

The only other thing that I would look at is the codec and/or ports that are in use between your phone and the 3CX server during the following calls: 1) direct dialed desk phone to external number 2) Outlook/VoIP Client initiated call. I'm willing to bet you that they are using two different codecs or ports. Check the 3CX server logs for this info and post it back in to a reply.

Thanks,
    Darrell Chapman

9. darrellchapman

blained,

I forgot to ask; who are we calling? Internal or external clients? Is it possible to setup another computer with the VoIP Client to test whether this is an internal or external problem?

Darrell Chapman

10. blainedh

I am calling external clients. In addition I performed the firewall test and found that I had some firewall problems. I then asked the person who operates our sonicwall router to fix the problem. He tested the router and said that all of our ports are open and that there should be no error reported by 3cx. The 3cx firewall test reported error (4) for ports 10,000, 10,009, 10,010, 10,012, 10,017, 10,018, 10,019 and 10,020. It also reported warning # 10 for ports 10,000 thru 10,011 and 10,013 thru 10,020. Why would 3cx show a problem with the firewall but our testing shows no problems?

11. darrellchapman

Does the computer have a built-in firewall?

12. blainedh

My computeres firewall is norton 2008

13. darrellchapman

Then I bet Norton is blocking those required ports causing your firewall test to fail. I don't use Norton so I can't tell you exactly how to do this, but try disabling the firewall and running the test again. Make sure WIndows built-in firewall is also disabled. Some 3rd party firewall products keep Windows firewall active for unknown reasons and this would just complicate the matter.

14. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

If the firewall check does not pass, then your firewall does not do static port mapping. You will have to address this to use VOIP providers or external phones.

More information here:
    http://www.3cx.com/support/nat-firewalls.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.