Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Problems to expect / solutions to solve them, when installing on a host with Exchange services?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by xt23, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xt23

Hello,
    my company needs a new telephone system and after some research I came to the conclusion that 3CX might be what we are looking for. So today, I intended to install the trial. Started reading the manual until I reached the point where it says:
    Well great. I have a DHCP server and also Exchange services running on my server. What should I do now? Install a second Windows Server just so I can install this program on it?! Seems ridiculous to do so.

It's a bit sad that there is no information what will happen if I install 3CX anyway and if there are workarounds to solve the problems this will cause.

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi there,

Installing the telephone system on the same machine as DHCP and exchange server is not recommended nor it is supported by 3CX. The reason is that this can cause major issues such as choppy or one way audio, devices not registering packets being lost.
    In some cases queues not working properly and many other issues that you don't want to have as the telephone system is a critical system for business operation. Reason behind it is that a lot of these services use the same ports for their operation as well as the machines local host.

You could install 3CX on a virtual server hosted on Hyper-V or Vmware or install it on a PC which meets the recommended specifications.
    http://www.3cx.com/docs/recommended-hardware-specifications-for-3cx/

3. neville

neville New Member

I've installed on about everything for demo and test. I currently have in on a laptop that I carry to show clients. Win 10 with 4g and and I5.

4. xt23

Thanks for clarification.
    I was already assuming that it might be an issue with ports that are already in use. Was wondering if I could just use different ports. But well if it's not supported...

As far as my fist impression goes, one major advantage of 3CX compared to other solutions seemed to be that I don't need to run an additional VM. If I now need it anyway... well, I guess now Asterisk is getting the first chance for a test-run. Might come back considering 3CX if this test-run fails.^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.