Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Problems with Voicemail

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by onestopits, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onestopits

Hi,

Everything else is working fine, but voicemail is a problem. On dialling voicemail on 900 (we changed from 999 - not ideal in UK) and get standard PIN prompt. We enter PIN, enter # and then get told no voicemail messages, press nine to configure. 9 doesn't work, but pressing # quits out OK.

Also, calling an extention from another and waiting for voicemail... goes to voicemail but no message and nothing is stored as a message.

Any ideas????

Cheers

Allan

2. ess

ess New Member

Allan,

This might just be a matter of the server (computer itself) not being able to play MP3 files. I know in my case, I had some strange problems with prompts. So, what you should try is making sure that on the server that if you double click on an mp3 file that some software (I.E. WMP) plays the file. This might just be a matter of going through the silly initial setup on Windows Media Player. Let me know how it goes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ceruleansam

Try pressing 8 for some reason 8 works for me even though it says press 9 :s

4. onestopit

Ok... more background on this setup is needed i think.

We have our 3CX server installed on a virtual 2008 platform under Windows 2008 Datacenter Edition (we are a MS Gold Partner so have licences for this) and this works perfectly for all other options bar the voicemail. On checking the playback options of MP3 files on the server, I've noticed there is no Windows Media option so downloaded VideoLAN player to do the playback, but we've not got any sound hardware installed on the physical box - so none exists on the virtual server either.

Is this a problem? Do we need a sound card to run voicemail? Why did 3CX go for MP3's instead of WAV files like the rest of the installation???

Has anyone else had issues running 3CX under a 2008 Virtual setup?

5. onestopit

Ok... seems also part of the problem is lack of sound support in virtual server 2008 setup. Can I ask 3CX why MP3 was chosen for voicemail system when all other prompts are WAV based?

Then only option I can try now without moving to a different platform is to use Exchange 2007 Unified Messaging to process voicemail, but as both our Exch2007 and 3CX are on the same box, we'll need to change the SIP port of Exchange from 5060 to say 5600. Now I know SP1 for Exchange 2007 now permits this change, but I have nothing to detail where to change this... can anyone else help with this? I've already got a MS Support ticket for this issue, but keen to find out if anyone else has done this type of setup on same box.

6. MajicF

There are more problems too. I've fixed this first issue by convering all the mp3 to wavs in one go using Audacity and then updating the xml file in with the sound files. Lastly restarting the voice message service, and now I can hear all the options properly.

The next problem is that the recording services requires the windows audio system too :cry:

Wish MS had created an audio driver for Hyper-V clients!

Only solution I can think of is to move to the physical server. Such a pain though.. esspecially when its just one thing! Unless I'm wrong and its not recording for a different reason?

7. MajicF

Moved to a desktop machine and all works fine now. Shame..

Anyone know how to record phone conversations using 3CX?

8. RCLSYS

We were experiencing problems with voicemail also before realising we had forgotten to activate 2 features on the server running the 3CX system.
    Our setup is a 2008 server running 2 Hyper-V sessions with Exchange 2007 and SQL2008 both sat on 2008 server installs. Our 3CX system is running on the SQL2008 virtualisation.
    We were not getting any voicemail functionality either, couldn't hear a thing relating to voice mail even though the auto attendant was working fine.
    Looked back over the install notes and realised we had not installed the Desktop Experience feature and Quality Windows Audio Video Experience.
    Installed the missing features and rebooted the system.
    Tried from internal and external sources and got through to voicemail without any problems.
    We DO NOT have any hardware sound capabilities on the main 2008 server and all we did was install and configure the 3CX system on our SQL server virtualisation.
    We also configured the voicemail to send a copy of the message to our email client and this also worked correctly too. The 3CX VoipClient also reported that voicemail was also available to listen to.
    We are now working on some of the other features....

9. MajicF

I'll check my 2008 box to see if I had installed those options. I do remember reading something on those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.