• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Proper configuration for 3CX over MPLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

btgrp_3cx

Reaction score
So, we discovered an interesting thing about 3CX for Windows over the MPLS yesterday that really makes me guy 'huh?'.

I currently have a test user who last week I setup to use 3CX for Windows from her house, we ran a hand full of test calls to both users inside the office as well as making external calls, both of which require the use of the Patton 4114 to bridge between our existing PBX and 3CX, and all was fine. Then Monday she goes to one of our remote offices connected via an MPLS and we get an established call, no audio, then disconnect. As a test we moved the Out of Office address into the In Office address, save, call, audio works fine. Then we put what was originally in the In Office into both In and Out, save, audio works fine. All the while 3CXPhone to 3CXPhone are fine with all three configurations.

DNS from the computer resolves both correctly. The FQDN in Out of Office is the same used both internally and externally.

Why on earth can I put the FQDN or IP into both fields and it works flawlessly but when I leave it the way the provisioning profile has it it fails? It seems to me that the easiest thing is to be able to modify the provisioning profile to include the FQDN for both In and Out. Anyway for me to do that?

They used Split DNS in v14.. which worked just fine for those of us who use or can configure Split DNS (it's not hard, folks..).
Found that the DEFAULTLOCALIP parameter is used to populate the In Office box. Updating the value was immediate, closing the app and opening it indeed fetched new provisioning info and it updated the value. I haven't tried an FQDN.. unclear if it uses that param to determine adapter binding.. and I multi-home my PBX. Then again.. an FQDN in Split DNS should still resolve to my LAN address.. but anyway..

Modifying the DefaultLocalIp to be the FQDN is exactly what I did and its worked like a charm so far. I was able to immediately restore functionality from the Patton that was lost for some reason and everything is rock solid. I've got a tech going down to one of our remote offices tomorrow so we can run some tests and see if it corrects a pesky issue with the test handsets as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.