Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Proper way to configure failover VOIP provider?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by tsukraw, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsukraw

tsukraw New Member

I am trying to figure out how to properly configure out voip provider failover IP.
    They do authentication by source IP address so we direct all our SIP traffic out a specific IP on our side which works great.

They have 2 different data centers with separate IPs. So on the General tab for the voip provider we have SIP server host IP set. The authentication ID field is left blank since there is no ID or password.

The issue comes in that when we try to add the secondary IP as a second provider we get a message saying "A line with this authentication ID already exists" and that ID is blank.....

Is there a different way i should be going about this to try to configure redundancy in VOIP provider IPs?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. AvientIT

Silly question - but have you tried entering dummy authentication details just so that you can make them different for each link? if your SIP provider doesn't need the authentication then they shouldn't care if you send them something crazy. Also try putting in your SIP account code as the "Authentication ID"; of course this will not help in a backup situation when you are trying to use the same account via a different IP - in which case set one to the account code and leave the otehr blank.

3. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

I have had a similar problem when I two accounts with different SIP providers but using the same "authentication ID" which 3CX will not permit.

The solution I used was to install a very old version (1.31 I think) of Axon PBX onto the server with the SIP account registered as a line to it. Then set up an extension on Axon that forwards all calls to that line. 3CX can register to the Axon extension with a different authentication ID fine.

Not the most elegant solution but it worked fine for me. Do remember to make sure Axon (or what ever you use for the relay) is on different ports than your 3CX install and that your router has the correct port forwarding to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.