Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Protocol error layer 2

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pj, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pj

pj

Hi,

I need your advice, I am using the 3CX phone to access a VoIP Centrex service from Entacall. When I set up the phone on my laptop at work it works fine and when I set it up on my home computer it works fine (when the xlite didn't). :D

However, when my customer sets up it on his home network he gets a Protocol error layer 2 error. I have got him to forward to TCP & UDP on port 5060 which the service uses and I really don't know why it is not working. :?:

He is using a Netgear Wireless modem router.

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Paul

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Honestly, you have to provide more information.

First Layer 2 does not really relate to the TCP & UDP issue you list.

Questions:
    is you custoemr on the same service provider?
    is you customer using VPN
    is your customer part of a VLAN
    is your customer using ATM (AAL2 to be more specific)
    is your customer going from a layer 2 into a layer 3 clowd

See several questions.

On top of my head,

I think it is a VLAN issue, meaning that there is a distrubance between A, B and C. (trying to make a Layer 2 switch into a layer 3 switch) the broad casting can stuff up.

Have a look at his IP router/switch perhaps reboot will help. But I am pretty confident the VLAN routing is buggerd, but without more info it is hard to tell.

YOu might be a little on your own here, as I do not think it 3CX related it is transport (or osi (how was that layer stack called again)) related.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.