• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Provide 3CX SBC as a package for pfSense

coreybrett81

Free User
Reaction score
Would be great to install 3CX as a package on a pfSense firewall.

Upvote 7
3cx doesn't run on BSD, to my understanding, and I don't think they'd have a whole lot of incentive to port it.

Maybe porting the 3CX SBC to pfSense as a package would make more sense. It already runs on Debian, so I would think that BSD wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Reactions: Nick Galea
3CX on Linux requires .NET Core which does not support FreeBSD, there is a community project for it but I don't think unless MS supports it 3CX would want to port the entire code over to something different since it is reliant on .NET, would be nice to see more options though like a BSD or another Linux distro.

BSD for 3CX would be a stretch, but just for SBC its absolutely possible and an interesting thought

Can't see 3CX coming to BSD any time soon. Why not virtualise both on same hardware?

For small offices, virtualization is not always a great fit.

I think 3CX-SBC as a pfSense package, paired with 3CX running in the "cloud" somewhere, would be an ideal solution.

Reactions: accentlogic
Any hope for SBC as a pfSense package?

Actually it makes no Sense if you put some 3rd Level Apps on your Security Gateway..because: It breaks Security.

Actually it makes no Sense if you put some 3rd Level Apps on your Security Gateway..because: It breaks Security.

I disagree regarding the SBC. It's really no different than having a VPN daemon running on your firewall. The SBC is like a VPN/PROXY server for your phones.

I would love to see the SBC made available as a pfSense package.

your firewall is your firewall. It's poor security practices to put anything else on your firewall. It's already a necessary evil to use a single device firewall/router in and put a VPN on that, because again your firewall shouldn't do anything but be a firewall. The huge number of security issues in SMB routers in recent years should make this all the more clear.

There are a number of small appliances that 3CX runs on like a champ like Udoo, UP boards, APU 2C2/4, Minnowboard, Intel NUC, LattePanda, I mean a lot of options here.

I guess it's a matter of judgment depending on a particular network.

Packages like HAproxy would fall into the same category.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattS
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.