Provider moving to e164 dialing plan

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by casualmikey, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casualmikey

Hi all,

My service provider (NexVortex) just sent us a mail stating they are upgrading our toll free number to a more robust server and that we will be moving to an e164 dialing plan. I have no idea what that means. But basically they state the following:

Question: What do I update in the 3CX configuration to avoid interruption of service?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Mike

2. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Most probably it will be enough to make the following modifications:

(1) Into Inbound Rules you modify the DID numbers by adding * in front of the number, i.e. change 1 123 456 7890 to *1 123 456 7890. You may need to modify also provider settings, depending how incoming numbers are configured (DIDs, etc.).

(2) For outgoing calls you may need to modify your CallerIDs, if necessary to the following format: +1 123 456 7890

(3) For Outbound rules you may need to prepend digits or plus sign & digits to make the dialed number complying, i.e. if you used to dial 10 digits only (like 123 456 7890) you need to modify the rule prepending 1 or +1 in front of the dialed numbers (in order to send to the provider the full e.164 number).

The above examples are relevant to US, for international calls you may need even more complex modification, instead of dialing 011 44 20 ... for London, UK, you may need to dial +44 20 ... (if e.164 number format is required for international calls).

Best regards,
    Orlin

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. casualmikey

Hi Orlin,

Thanks for your quick response. This is what I verified on the system.

1. Inbound Rules. I navigated to inbound rules and then selected the rule that applies to the phone line. It displayed the Edit DID screen. I checked under Number/Mask and I see our number has an asterisk * before our number.

2. Outbound Rules. I navigated to outbound rules and we have two rules. a 10-digit rule and an 11-digit rule to allow for people who do not press one before the area code on domestic calls. I currently do not have a prepend (+). I will have to update this based on your feedback.

3. VOIP Providers: I also looked under the VOIP Provider section and there is a DID mask as well . On our config. we currently have * before our number there as well. Based on what I am seeing, that is the same configuration as the Inbound rules covered in #1.

Thank you very much for your help on this. If there is anything else you know of, I would be more than happy to hear it. :)

Mike

4. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Try step by step when dialing plan changes, depending what provider has modified.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.