Rejected Provision OpenStage Phones from Unify

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Tobias Pieper, Dec 31, 2017.

Rejected Provision OpenStage Phones from Unify 5 5 10votes
5/5, 10 votes

1. Tobias Pieper

Good Evening,

We always have leads for the integration of OpenStage phones from Unify.

With the help of an Ingeration from the telephones we can give customers another cost advantage which leads to a higher investment area.

Other Providers e.g. Asterix can support this Phones with integrated provisioning.

Are there any other posivie voices?

Thanks for the feedback.
    Please Vote/Rate for my thread above him.

View attachment 6789

Happy new Year! :)

#1 Tobias Pieper, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    B.Fluehmann likes this.
  2. itservice8

+1
    Here in germany there are much customers, that have hi-path, unify or swyx phones (all the same hardware) and they cannot switch to 3CX without to rebuy all phones...

3. digiteo

4. Decoratinglife

They have to rebuy all the phones and it is a pain lol. +2

5. timmbo

+1
    Also here in Austria.
    I got a lot of customers with Askozia-PBX, and they don´t wanna switch to 3CX only because of the phones they have to change either.

Bye
    Timm

6. 3CXDude

3CXDude New Member

Considering 3CX acquired Askozia, you would think they would want support them

https://www.3cx.com/blog/news/askozia-pbx-acquisition/

In my opinion, 3CX should really focus on supporting as many vendors IP phones (with a large install base) as possible as it makes 3CX such a simple upgrade from another platform without having to replace phones and we all know that makes up the bulk of the upgrade cost. The fact that Cisco, Polycom etc...are not support in STUN/SBC is crazy !!!

7. Thomas Schneider

Oh shoot, I just installed 3CX, planning to replace a Swyx 2013. I was amazed by the easy setup and the config interface itself. But when I tried to install IP-Phones (OpenStage 60) I saw they aren't supported. Bummer! Guess I have to stick with Swyx, replacing almost 50 new phones isn't an option :-(

8. trax2

+1
    We hope so much that 3cx will support OpenStage phones.
    That would mean a much bigger market where we would otherwise have to switch to Starface.
    Please dear 3CX team. Do that!

9. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

It would be interesting to do. Which models would we be talking about realistically? Does anyone have a good knowledge of these phones maybe we can contract him to help us?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. timmbo

Hi Nick,

Openstage 15, 40, 60 and also 80, but this is EoL at Unify, but sone Manager has this one.
    I got all of them in my Office, because e saled them with Askozia, maybe i can help to test.

Bye
    Timm

11. B.Fluehmann

@Nick Galea We are using mostly OpenStage 15 and some older models. I would like to help youas well.
    Feel free to contact me if you are interested.
    Regards Bernhard

12. Thomas Schneider

OpenStage 40 and 60 are probably the phones most being used. For us it's all 60s.

13. Thomas Schneider

- Forgot to mention all our phones are HFA-Phones (I know they can be flashed to SIP Phones, but supporting HFA would really be it! :))

14. snoms

#14 snoms, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
  15. SaschaOlesch

We are having too a Lead to sell 3CX PBX if we can provide provisioning of the OpenStage Phones that are already in use. Would be very nice to have the Provisioning Support here. THX !

16. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

These phones are very complex and also very old and outdated. We will make a guide how to configure them manually but there will be no provisioning support and of course no features such as CTI.

If a customer wants to really switch to 3CX or indeed any true open standard system, then he should consider new, open standard phones. You can have good SIP phones so cheap these days its less expensive then the work involved trying to configure these phones. You can use these openstage phones for some workstations that have very limited feature requirements.

Its better to explain this to the customer in advance and not raise his hopes quite frankly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    craigreilly likes this.
  17. SaschaOlesch

Hello Nick !

Can you give us a statement when you can provide us with instructions for the Unify phones ? We get in trouble with time o_O

18. snoms

Dear 3cx.com,

in my country it was very popular that public institutions had to buy PBXes by Siemens Enterprise which is now called Unify years ago. We are one of them with nearly 3000 phones of Openstage SIP (20/40/60/80) phones.

Our software release of the Siemens Enterprise "Openscape Voice" is version 4. It consists of 2 cluster members running in an active / passive configuration.

Software support for that software release ended years ago. Also the fax server is outdated. No unifed communication, only CTI is running.

I am here to ask whether 3cx has ever evaluated Openstage SIP phones to make it work with 3cx PBX?

According to Unify phase out date for Openstage SIP is 2022-06-30. End of development support is 2020-06-30.

We talked with Unify about an upgrade and they recommend their successor phones. And they even gave us a quote for their whole Unified software solution. Of course for our whole 3000 phones plus licenses plus servers plus support contract the the price they want is ridicoulos high. 3cx PBXes looks like a bargain. The only reason we haven't started evaluating 3cx is missing support for Openstage SIP devices, i.e. including support for CTI.

Openstage phone support uaCSTA,i.e. https://wiki.unify.com/wiki/File:White_Paper_uaCSTA_for_OpenStage_SIP.pdf#file

Hint: 3cx really could earn money with supporting Openstage devices (if those phones work with their given firmware and API support. In my country we are talking about xxxxxx Openstage phones in government environments which need a new PBX within the next 1-3 years.

Of course those phones are not what you think of when you talk about opensource phones. Of course people have to change phones once. But if you can start with 3000 old phones and replace those ones step by step with a new one... This is a key argument, not only for us.

Back to "open"source. Openstage phones have kind of Asterisk support:
    https://wiki.unify.com/wiki/SIP_Devices_and_Asterisk

"Common telephony features are supported out of the box, such as call transfer, call forwarding, consultation, voicemail, and many more. To add more functionality in order to build a feature-rich communication system, two additional interfaces can be used by developers:

• The OpenStage_WPI (WorkPoint Interface) provides an open, XML-based provisioning interface to support mass deployment and to enable automated updates and configuration"

https://wiki.unify.com/images/c/c7/OpenStage_Provisioning_Interface_Developer's_Guide.pdf
    https://wiki.unify.com/images/9/96/White_Paper_uaCSTA_for_OpenStage_SIP.pdf

Perhaps you can think about kind of support those phones as much you can.

#18 snoms, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018