Provisioning**Discussion

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by comresource, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comresource

comresource Member

Finally got a chance to look at v9. Lot of nice things but I still have a complaint.

Please allow an option to NOT re-create the provisioning file when forwarding rules are changed. Forwarding has nothing to do with the provisioning file and this is still causing issues when custom phone specific entries are being provisioned.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Re: Provisioning

Hi,

The way the Extensions Page currently works is that if you have provisioning enabled on that extension, and in anywhere in the extension's page you press APPPLY or OK, settings in the "General" "Forwarding" "Phone Provisioning" "Other" "Office Hours" sections are all updated. This is for the user's convenience.

The folder from in where provisioning files are placed is: C:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning
    In order to achieve what you want to do with Custom Provisioning Files, the best way to do it is to create a new folder in the above folder and name it "Custom" and copy the provisioning files you want in there manually.

So now when you are going to be provisioning your phones make sure they get the provisioning files from the new location and not the old one.

Old Provisioning link:
    http://192.168.1.1:5481/provisioning/MAC.cfg

New Provisioning link:
    http://192.168.1.1:5481/provisioning/Custom/MAC.cfg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. comresource

comresource Member

Yes, I am aware of the several ways to get around this "feature". The fact remains that this should NOT do this by default.

4. uno1

I think you should not look at it as "feature", its just how the system works. We created custom templates which is, as far as i know the way to add custom templates to the system. The word Custom tells enough, editing system templates do not make them "custom" because it remains a system template for 3cX.

5. comresource

comresource Member

I would just like to be able to add an entry to a specific users provision file, for whatever reason....and not have to worry that when they change their forwarding rules (im going to lunch..forward my calls to cell)...that my entry, completely unrelated to forwarding, will be deleted.

6. netwerkshop

I think I have the opposite problem.

When I change forwarding rules, my custom template is not porcessed and No provisioning files are created.

The only way I can make 3cx v9 process my custom provisioning template is by editing the user settings and pressing OK or APPLY.

Very related:
    If I edit my custom template, and save it, and then process that edited template to create provisioning files, It does not include my latest changes.

It seems that 3cx does not 'load' the newly edited template.

If I restart all services the template is 'loaded' and when processed does produce the edited provisioning files.
    In 3cx v8 i could edit template --> save ---> process template(without any changes to extension settings) --> and the new provisioning files would be created, (including latest edit)

Is this a bug or a feature? If a feature? Why?

Cheers,
    Edo

7. carolinainnovative

I believe the behavior was changed in V9 RC1 - it now will NOT re-write the configuration files after a forwarding rule change. Use the "Reprovision Phones" button under the "Phones" menu.

I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon editing templates in V9. Every time after I saved and went to Phones -> Reprovision Phones, the new files were created with my changes to the template. Try again using that button.

**EDIT - RC1 - Sorry

8. netwerkshop

Hi, I am running v9 rc1, didn't even know that rc2 was out.

.. I also didn't know about the reprovision phones button in phone.. great help.

However, it is still not working. 3cx does not reload the templates after editing them. When I edit a template, and reprovision, the edits do not appear in the newly generated files. If i restart all services, and then press reprovision, the edits do appear.

9. comresource

comresource Member

I just shed a tear of joy.

Thanks!

10. carolinainnovative

Oops - i was thinking I just upgraded from beta 2 to RC1 - so I meant RC1... sorry. (edited original post to match)

11. carolinainnovative

Silly question - are you editing the files from within 3cx or outside of 3cx? I'm not sure if it matters, but I figure I should ask.

12. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

in the latest version we have implemented a fix based on this post that does not modify / reprovision the PHONES PROVISIONING files when the following sections are modified in the extension settings

Forwarding rules
    3CXPhone Assistant provisioning
    Other
    Office hours

This is confirmed and files remain untouched.

What is the current status of this now? Also provisioning template files are not edited every day. So this fix should be enough not to have your options overwritten.

It definitely matters.

Edit of template is an administrative task. So this template has to be loaded again.
    So if you are editing from a text editor, after you save you have to restart the Webserver. Webserver needs to load this template so template.dll can generate your updates to the prov files. otherwise how it is going to know of the changes?
    If you are editing from the 3CX Management console, you get a basic editor which is not comfortable yes - but you dont need to restart.

Winforms needs to be closed and opened again. No web service needs to be restarted in this case.

13. netwerkshop

Thanks for the answer.

Now I know how it works.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.