Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Provisioning file cannot be reached

Discussion in 'Android' started by danieltan, Jan 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danieltan

I was able to scan QR code to auto provision the 3CX client on Andriod. Then I deleted the account. Then when I was trying to scan the QR code again to readd the same account, there was an error message on the mobile app saying "Provisioning file cannot be reached". I have tried to restart the phone, restart the 3CX machine, no success. Has anybody had the same issue?

2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

This error is indicative that there's a networking/dns error reaching your PBX.
    Try to access your PBX's management console from your mobile device via the FQDN and/or IP. Does it work?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Fatai Okeleji

I have a similar problem and I cannot reach the PBX management console from the mobile device

4. AnoopM

Hi , i also have the same problem , do we have a solution for this??

5. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The solution is not related to the app, but is networking related.

To understand better what you might be doing wrong, i suggest you try to open your PBX via your Android's mobile device browser using the FQDN of your PBX.

Like this for example:
    https://mycompany.3cx.eu:5001

Are you able to reach your PBX at all? If not, how can you expect that the 3CX Android app on the same device can reach your PBX in order to get the provisioning information?
    The solution for this is readily available in our training material, guides, manuals and generally requires some semi-basic networking knowledge on your side.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Pheary CHAP likes this.
  6. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

A new version of the 3CX Client will be soon out in beta that will provide some more information on what error was encountered when trying to provisioning rather than just saying: "Provisioning file cannot be reached".

It will at least tell you if it's timing out or if it's a DNS related issue and whatnot. Beyond that is up to the network or PBX admin to figure out the problem.

7. DASHIP

I am receiving this error. The web client is working fine from external networks, but when I try to provision an iPhone using the mobile client, I receive this error.

I am looking forward to the revised client version that explains what the actual error is. Don't have a way to troubleshoot right now. What is the estimated release date of the new client?

8. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

@DASHIP
    You mentioned iPhone: well, iOS provides you a very confortable, alternative way to provision the 3CX client using the QR code: scan it using iPhone's camera - this will detect the URL, it will prompt you to open in Safari, Safari will download the config file and will prompt you to open it in 3CX. Simple as it is. If Safari won't be able to download that link, then don't expect 3CX client will.

9. DASHIP

That's exactly how I am trying to provision the phone. I am scanning the QR code, and that's when I receive the error. If there were another way to provision the phone manually, so I could check the settings, it would actually be preferred at this point. However, I do not see any way to manually provision the iPhone app. Therefore, I can't tell what the QR code settings are, nor what error the app is having, as there is no feedback other than the error message above.

10. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Sorry I wasn't clear:
    I meant - scan the code using device's Camera application (not the 3CX client).

P.S Manually provisioning 3CX clients is no longer possible, you have to use one of
    - welcome eMail
    - scan QR code
    - PnP provisioning (this requires the client to be in the same subnet as 3CXPhoneSystem)
    Most used is the welcome eMail

11. DASHIP

That’s exactly what I was doing: scanning the QR Code using the 3CX app, which opens the camera app. The camera app immediately recognizes the QR Code, and then the 3CX app immediately responds with the error.

However, last night I was able to get the iPhone app to register by opening the attachment to the welcome email, and then selecting the Forward action, and then selecting the 3CX app. Apparently the 3CX app adds itself as an option for forwarding attachments. I wish the instructions had been a bit more explicit on that point.

I note that I was on the local network last night, when I was able to register, but the client seems to be working fine remotely, as I am at work now, and it is connected.

I registered my wife’s phone last night using the same method, but haven’t gotten the QR Code to work.

Thanks for your help and feedback.

12. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

13. DASHIP

No, I used the built-in iOS Mail app. Selected the attachment at the bottom of the welcome mail. Clicked the "Forward" action button, and then you are presented with a menu of choices to forward it to. After installing the 3CX app, it shows up in that menu of options. Selected the 3CX app (which was running at the time, in the background), and that did the trick.

14. Riaz Kajee

I am experiencing the same problem and cannot fathom why this is happening.

If I open my 3CX client I can see the ios device there however cannot get it to register on ios app.

What should I do to remedy?

upload_2018-3-14_16-37-1.png

15. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

16. DASHIP

Inside your local network, you may have to provide a DNS record for your 3CX host name Name.State.3CX.Country (mine is name.mo.3cx.us) pointing to the local IP address of the 3CX server (mine is 10.0.0.177). You would have to set this DNS entry on the device providing DNS lookups on your local network. You can look at the network settings on a local device to see what is providing DNS service (I.e. type “ipconfig” from a command prompt on a Windows PC and look for the DNS Server IP address on the local network). Once you have determined the local DNS server, create a new host entry for your 3CX server pointing to its local IP address. This will prevent internal network lookups from receiving the external, public IP address for your 3CX server, which causes a “hairpinning” problem where internal systems try to reach the 3CX server on the outside address, rather than directly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.