Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Solved Provisioning - multicast listening on Yealink and Snom not working

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by giwm, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giwm

giwm New Member

I cannot get auto provisioning to work for multicast listening. Other settings work, but not multicast. I've tested this on Yealink T40P, T46G, and T48G as well as the Snom PA1. My templates have these lines added/modified:

Yealink
    multicast.receive_priority.priority = 0
    multicast.listen_address.1.ip_address = 224.0.1.75:50001

Snom
    <multicast_listen perm="">on</multicast_listen>
    <mc_address idx="1" perm="">224.0.1.75:50001</mc_address>

I simply am at a loss as to why this isn't working. I could imagine a firmware bug, but others MUST be doing this already. Help!

2. jbryant84

jbryant84 New Member

Do the phones show up in the phones tab? If they show up there, multicast is working. I have to place the provisioning link in Option66 on the DHCP server to get autoprovisioning to work.

3. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

What firmware version are you running ? They change the syntax here and there to keep us on our toes... ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. giwm

giwm New Member

T40P: 54.81.0.61
    T46G: 28.81.0.61
    T48G: 35.81.0.61

Snom PA1: 8.7.5.44

5. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

Your syntax seems correct.
    I think the settings in the common config files might be overriding your template.
    Look in programdata/3cx/instanceX/data/http/intergace/provisioning/**YourProvDirectory**/ and try adding your multicast settings to the y0000000XX.cfg files. (The T46g uses y000000000028.cfg, The t48 y000000000035.cfg, ... )

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. giwm

giwm New Member

I do not have any y*.cfg files. v15 sp5.

7. giwm

giwm New Member

So... I made accidental progress. It seems if I use a custom template, the provisioning for the multicast settings does not work. If I edit the default 3CX template... it'll work. It almost seems like it's coming down to the <model> name line in the provisioning file. I call mine things like Yealink T46 - GIWM Multicast.

8. giwm

giwm New Member

Okay, so the model name with a hyphen is bad - provisioning behavior is hit or miss. Removing the hyphen worked for everything but the T48G. More testing to follow... open to suggestions.

9. giwm

giwm New Member

So I edited the factory template with the two settings mentioned at the beginning of this post and provisioned a T48G successfully. I then put the settings back to default, took the factory template, copied it from within 3CX adding "test" to the end. Assigned that new phone to the extension under Phone Provisioning and re-provisioned. Didn't take the multicast settings. I'm at a complete loss.

10. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

11. giwm

giwm New Member

@YiannisH_3CX

I can create custom templates and have had great success. However, when trying to add the lines mentioned in my original post, they simply don't apply. I've tried different combinations of firmware and different methods of provisioning templates. The ONLY way I've gotten it to work is if I edit the default 3CX template. So if the 'model' (in the template) is T40P, T46, or T48, the auto provisioning of those two settings works. Anything else does not work. Firmware versions do not seem to play a role in this, as I've tried a variety. I'm focusing on the Yealink phones right now because of the sheer number of them I have to deploy with these settings.

As for what I'm trying to do: I have about 60 phones that need to be part of a multicast group and about 10 that should not be. They are a variety of the three models listed above as well as the T42S.

The fact that I can get it to provision those settings by editing the default 3CX templates (v15 SP5) has me even more confused.

12. giwm

giwm New Member

Okay... I got it to work this morning. I took my custom template (which was just a copy of the 3CX template) and changed the model name to Yealink T46 (instead of whatever name it was given when I'd copied the factory template). Amazingly, that's all it took to fix it. I don't know if this is a bug on Yealink's side or on 3CX side. I'm thinking 3CX, because of the Snom. I'll test that shortly and update.

13. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Ok i tried replicating your issue and i got it to work. I just followed the steps in the document i sent you. The multicast details are included in the y000000000xx.cfg file. What i did in short:
    Created a custom template from the management console and named it YealinkT4xMcast.
    Opened the custom template with notepad ++ (better editing options)
    Went down and filled the values as you stated.
    Changed the name of the model as the guide states so it matches the one of the custom template.
    Then i incremented the y000000000xx files to y100000000xx with the replace all function. ( there is a value further down that need to be changed that is it is better to use the replace all)
    Saved the custom template
    Restarted the management console
    Re-provisioned the phone.

14. giwm

giwm New Member

The y000000000xx files are not present in my v15 sp5 installation. I remember seeing them in v14. Our v15 SP5 is a fresh install, not an upgrade. Perhaps those missing files are the root cause?

15. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

16. Chad

Just curious if you ever got the SNOM PA1 working. I'm just trying to set it manually and can't get the Multicast to work. The phones work with no problem but we have 1 PA1 that no sound comes out of. The PA1 is hooked into a Bogen Amp/speaker system. If I just set it up as a paging ring group it works fine just a long delay to link all the phones, but Multicasting doesn't work at all.

17. giwm

giwm New Member

@Chad Yeah, I got it working. Granted, I don't use 3CX for any multicasting, as it won't work across the VPN. So all my multicast settings (listen and DSS keys) are done through custom provisioning templates.

Is the PA1 on the same network as the phone you are testing from?

If you put a phone on the same network as the PA1 will it pick up the multicast?

18. Chad

Yes all phones and PA1 are on 192.168.x.x. multicast is set to 224.0.x.x:50001 My phones are set up through custom templates too. The PA1 is just default. I go into the settings and see the Codec for rtp is set to PCMU. So I changed the phones to PCMU also, but I wonder if this should be different. Just to be sure under Advanced->SIP/RTP and under multicast you turned on and added an IP address:port. Is there another radio button I'm missing? Under Identity there is RTP settings but I haven't touched those.

19. giwm

giwm New Member

Codec and identity won't matter for multicast, as it's a generic networking technology completely separate from SIP.

We just turn on Multicast and enter the IP Addresses. Hit Apply at the bottom, save at the top. Maybe reboot just to be sure and then check that those settings are still there. To test, also try setting a BLF key on your phone to multicast to that same IP address so that 3CX isn't even in the equation.

20. Chad

Well I feel dumb but I never rebooted the PA1. After rebooting it works. I never had to reboot the phones so I just assumed I didn't have to do the PA1. Thanks for the help giwm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.