• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Provisioning of Grandstream 2160 Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdale

Reaction score
I have a 3CX server that was recently built and is running on our server on the internet. We have no LAN connectivity it's all remote.

When trying to provision the 2160 using the documentation provided within the 3CX UI the phone is unable to find any files pertaining to the phone itself.

When looking at the syslog there is a 404 error when trying to download the firmware.

I have downloaded the firmware within the 3CX update window and there are no updates at the moment pending.

The server has been rebooted twice after the update just in case something didn't start the first time. From the doucmentaion that I have found the CFG files are created automatically on the fly but I am unable to download any config file either by trying to manually enter the URL followed by the MAC.cfg or from the link provided in the interface and forcing the phone itself to find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello @jdale

How are you trying to provision the phone? Remote stun or via SBC?
Also, what is the current firmware of the phone?

I'm doing it remotely. there is no SBC in the setup and firmware is 1.0.9.58

I am able to go a bit further however by piecing some stuff together from the forums.

The documentation https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/grandstream-gxp21-series/ under the RPS section says that on step 7 you boot the phone and should be prompted with a username and password screen.

Nowhere that I could find does it tell you where in the phone config to point it to the 3CX server. Since it's not on my local lan there is no way for it to be discovered.

I have set the Firmware check to Always and under the Config Server Path put in the provisioning link from the 3CX console. xxxxx.3cx.ca:5001/provisioning/xxxxxxxxxx

That did nothing, the login box did not show up on screen even after a factory reset and multiple reboots.

However if I enter xxxxx.3cx.ca:5001/rps and reboot now I get the login screen.

The documentation states that I should enter the extension number and the VM password. That goes to a screen saying verifying username and password then goes back to the stock phone screen with no login prompt. If I enter an invalid password for that extension the system does come back saying invalid username or password so it's communicating with the server properly, it's just somehow not getting a config.

Last edited:
Yes i'm using Direct SIP - STUN for provisioning. Out of the box config from a 3CX Debian install done last night. I would hope that the firewall ports that are required are opened out of the box. Firewall tests all show OK.

Yes. See my comments on a previous post regarding that document.

Hello @jdale

Nowhere that I could find does it tell you where in the phone config to point it to the 3CX server. Since it's not on my local lan there is no way for it to be discovered.

This is where RPS comes in. 3CX will register your phone in the RPS server and RPS will point the phone to the 3CX Server.
You need to make sure thought that RPS request delivered successful as shown below
upload_2018-3-8_9-53-23.png

I would suggest to make sure first that RPS delivered successful and then reset the phone so any config done manually will be removed. Then give the phone some time to contact RPS and PBX. If i'm not mistaken the specific phone will restart 2-3 times before asking for credentials.

So explain to me how that magic happens because I have no idea how a phone that is not on the same network as the 3CX server is able to get a config. How does it know where the phone is. I want to make sure you understand that the 3CX server is cloud hosted, as stated in the first line of my post the server is "in the cloud", and our phone is on our local LAN.

RPS did properly provision the phone and I see ID 10018 in the log indicating that.

When you add a phone under an extension and set the provisioning method to Direct SIP (STUN) then the PBX will contact the RPS server and say that the configuration for this phone with this MAC address can be found here.
When a phone boots up and it is in a factory reset state, it tries to contact the RPS server and ask if there is a configuration waiting for it somewhere.
The RPS will then check if there is a config for the requesting phone and if there is it will tell the phone that go to this address and request your configuration.
The phone will then download the config file from the PBX and hopefully provision.

Reactions: mariosM_3CX
So how does my phone know to contact the RPS server. That's the part that's confusing me. I flash the stock firmware, the PBX is in the cloud. I'm presuming the RPS server sits on the same server as the PBX, so how does my phone in my LAN contact a server on the Internet without some type of configuration in it????

Hello @jdale

RPS server is not hosted on the PBX machine or by 3CX. It is owned and hosted by the Phone manufacturer.
The phones are designed like this by the manufacturer so when booting up they'll connect to the manufacturer's RPS server to get the provisioning link, if there is a record for the phone's MAC.
Think of it as the RPS location is hard coded in the phone by design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steffen Ekerdt
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.